What's new

brightness keeps adjusting according to the on screen/browser content

Omni

This is clearly an issue that is happening to multiple people including myself. Instead of speculating, please watch the video or test for yourself so you can see what is happening.

I have watched the video and just suggested something I thought could be the cause. I have a S2 and RT and not had this issue at all apart from in certain light conditions at certain times of day. Ive tried to replicate it but can't get mine to do it.

OP
E

emiliofragiacomo

I have been trying different conditions and I noticed that with the adaptive brightness ON or OFF when charging everything works fine no dimming or increase of the screen light.as soon as I remove the charger screen is again playing up.
I have the options with the adaptive brightness both OFF when charging and when on battery but that does not make any difference .

Last edited:
OP
E

emiliofragiacomo

I have exchanged my surface 2 32 gig with a 64 version for another retailer and it is exactly the same .
The screen behaves exactly the same and the Demos in the store were the same.
So yes it is not just mine they probably all doing the same but some people do not notice it or they are not bothered or maybe they think it's a feature .
It does seem to go away when charging but not always.
Don't know what to do next.
Hopefully Microsoft will do something about it.

Omni

I have exchanged my surface 2 32 gig with a 64 version for another retailer and it is exactly the same .
The screen behaves exactly the same and the Demos in the store were the same.
So yes it is not just mine they probably all doing the same but some people do not notice it or they are not bothered or maybe they think it's a feature .
It does seem to go away when charging but not always.
Don't know what to do next.
Hopefully Microsoft will do something about it.

That is strange. I do notice my brightness change occasionally but not that often. Sorry you've not found a solution although Im sure something with change to sort the issue.

kristalsoldier

Where is the light sensor located on the Surface 2? Seeing the first video only, I notice something odd. What is being depicted on the screen is dark with a light border. The when the user scrolls up, the screen depicts a light background. When the former happens the screen dims, when the latter happens the screen lightens up - which is exactly what happens when the ambient light conditions change. Could it be that the screen is catching its own radiance through the sensor and adjusting accordingly? Certainly, if it is the case that the sensor is on the keyboard (which I suspect is not the case), then this could very well be possible. The only hitch in this theory is that the OP says that the dimming and lightening up the screen occurs regardless of whether or not the auto-dim feature is on or off. If so, then most likely this is a sensor and software problem.

Remember, this is all speculation after a quick glance of the first video only.

That said, I have the auto-dim feature set up on my Surface 2 (I think it does help a bit with the battery life). And, the screen auto-dims as it is supposed to do with variations in the ambient light conditions. But I can't seem to replicate the OP's scenario, which is another question-mark against my speculative theory.

EMINENT

Where is the light sensor located on the Surface 2? Seeing the first video only, I notice something odd. What is being depicted on the screen is dark with a light border. The when the user scrolls up, the screen depicts a light background. When the former happens the screen dims, when the latter happens the screen lightens up - which is exactly what happens when the ambient light conditions change. Could it be that the screen is catching its own radiance through the sensor and adjusting accordingly? Certainly, if it is the case that the sensor is on the keyboard (which I suspect is not the case), then this could very well be possible. The only hitch in this theory is that the OP says that the dimming and lightening up the screen occurs regardless of whether or not the auto-dim feature is on or off. If so, then most likely this is a sensor and software problem.

Remember, this is all speculation after a quick glance of the first video only.

That said, I have the auto-dim feature set up on my Surface 2 (I think it does help a bit with the battery life). And, the screen auto-dims as it is supposed to do with variations in the ambient light conditions. But I can't seem to replicate the OP's scenario, which is another question-mark against my speculative theory.

Have you tried it in the dark at the lowest setting?

cjonline

Hi all

purchased two surface 2 for me and my son as presents for Xmas.

Love the hardware but the software .......arghhhhhh
There is this annoying problem with the brightness on both tablets that drives me nuts.
Every time the browser content changes to brighter colors the screen brightness goes up and down and it looks almost like flickering.
The same happens on the main screen with the live tiles.
I know this has been reported before and there are also videos but come on Microsoft why do we buy your tablets for if not for comfortable browsing of the mighty internet .
Anyway I have tried to reset/refresh restore also I have updated to the latest firmware but nothing.
The adaptive brightness on or off doesn't make any difference so it must be a software /driver problem .

Am I missing something ?

Are Microsoft aware of this problem ? Are they working on a fix ?

Hi, I have the same issue... more noticeable when Ive clicked on a link in IE.. while its loading the screen seems to dim then brighten up when the page is fully loaded.

Craig.

OP
E

emiliofragiacomo

I just came back from John Lewis Store in Cardiff(they are the only ones that sell this in UK ) and I have tried a Nokia Lumia 2520 .I did not notice any of the brightness dimming on it under any circumstances.
I have tried it with the charger and without and with the adaptive brightness on and off and I have loaded the same website on a
Surface 2 that was close to it as part of the Microsoft stand.
The Nokia screen does not react to brighter images it just displays everything very smooth when scrolling at a constant brightness on the other hand the Surface 2 keeps on adjusting according to the screen content .
It is definitely a hardware + driver issue with the Surface 2 and right now Microsoft is not doing anything about it .
It is so easy to disable this stupid thing on the Surface Pro 2 .
It leaves me no choice but to return mine and wait for next generation of Surfaces .

Thanks all for reading

EMINENT

You returned it for that? It doesn't bother me that bad. If there was a thinner option with a keyboard and stand out there i'd consider it, but there isn't. I'd rather deal with this minor issue.

godson594

It is so easy to disable this stupid thing on the Surface Pro 2 .
It leaves me no choice but to return mine and wait for next generation of Surfaces .

Thanks all for reading

It's a pain on the Surface Pro 2 - You have to manually install intel drivers to fix the adaptive brightness bug. I absolutely hate it.. Some people's eyes aren't sensitive to it, but for me it bugs me enough where I would have returned it if there wasn't an alternate driver.

Last edited by a moderator:

_moore

did i read elsewhere that installing the intel drivers causeother problems though?

i also have the dimming issue which is annoying but not the end of the world. it's one of a few bugs I've experienced but I'm giving microsoft the benefit of the doubt for now.

i think the light sensor is too sensitive. i put my head nearthe screen to read some small text and the screen got darker thinking the ambient room light was darker, which in turn made it harder to read the text!

i hate to say it but my ipad/iphone dimming works perfectly.