What's new

Bringing my Surface Pro up to Speed

Signus

Okay I have been having several smallish niggling issues with the Surface Pro that I don't know how to fix...

So, in rapid fire!

Has anyone found a good Windows 8 Youtube player? Most of the ones I've found have bad account navigation and I can't browse a user's library of videos.

When I fullscreen Youtube (and other) videos, the bottom start bar sits on top of the video. Unless I change the start bar to autohide, it gets in the way. And I'd rather not do that, as getting the bar to come up without the pen or keyboard is a pain.

What version of Firefox is everyone using? (Chrome does not allow private viewing in a convenient way) I was using regular, but it's not 64bit. The 64bit version is the "Nightly" version, which has been a pain because now some links auto open in nightly, when I do all my browsing in desktop mode. Is there a 64 bit version of regular Firefox?

What version of the Flash plugin are people using? This may tie into my fullscreen problem. I've found that when I'm in youtube and try to hover over the progress bar or volume bar, it glitches out and doesn't work. This may be a product of the browser I'm using.

Thanks in advance if anyone can answer any of these.

malberttoo

I had the same issue with the full-screen YouTube not covering the taskbar, super annoying. Had to set the taskbar to auto-hide (which I don't normally like) just to watch the video properly.

mitchellvii

Firefox does not play well in a touch environment. You are honestly better migrating to IE 10. It's not perfect but it will be getting much better when IE 11 comes out with Windows Blue.

Firefox has scrolling and pinch-to-zoom issues. It is jerky and unreliable. Pinch-to-zoom is butter smooth in IE 10.

Omni

I use YouTube RT and like it a lot. Never had any issues with it. I'm guessing it works on the pro as well only because of the name...

OP
S

Signus

Firefox does not play well in a touch environment. You are honestly better migrating to IE 10. It's not perfect but it will be getting much better when IE 11 comes out with Windows Blue.

Firefox has scrolling and pinch-to-zoom issues. It is jerky and unreliable. Pinch-to-zoom is butter smooth in IE 10.

Yeah, these are other issues that I've been trying to figure out. Especially on google sites, scrolling just does NOT seem to work.

The way I have Firefox set up, it's incredibly secure. No cookies or history gets saved when I browse, and I have adblocker going. Would I be able to get a similar setup with IE?

mitchellvii

I got tired of watching the videos via IE so the other day I got the YouTube Modern UI app and it works great! Definitely a much better experience.

When I am done watching a video in Modern UI YouTube, how to I return to my Search Results? I can't find a back button anywhere? Other than that it is great.

Sin

The back button in the Metro / Modern UI is in the upper left corner. If your viewing a video, it might hide, but tap there and it will display again.

OP
S

Signus

Has anyone discovered a way to fix the full screen issue?

And another problem that's been cropping up... it takes a good solid 60 seconds to identify network connections now, whereas before I connected to networks instantly. This worries me because I had a similar problem on my laptop a couple of years ago and nothing short of a reformat fixed it.