What's new

Broadwell "U" - class of SP4 (not Core-M)

zhenya

Isn't the TDP of the Core M significantly lower than that of the i3 in the current SP3 though Jeff? Like 5w vs 10? One potential downside to the M having a common chassis with the Broadwell U is that it won't be able to take advantage of the reduction in thickness possible by leaving out the fan.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Isn't the TDP of the Core M significantly lower than that of the i3 in the current SP3 though Jeff? Like 5w vs 10? One potential downside to the M having a common chassis with the Broadwell U is that it won't be able to take advantage of the reduction in thickness possible by leaving out the fan.
The Current Y Variant is 4.5 W TDP....

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just had a thought ... maybe the ultimate high end Surface should have an i5/i7 paired with a Tegra X1.
I would definitely buy one. Another interesting possibility for a combination ... paired with an Atom for use in Connected Standby + if I'm not mistaken the new Cherry Trails will have LTE and other interesting technologies that could be leveraged for a premium experience device (SP4/SP5).

Even a Core-M paired with another SoC could be very interesting.

Last edited:

zhenya

I think that ship has sailed. A couple of years ago we were seeing at least some prototype devices with two different processors, but with Intel finally getting on the low power bandwagon I doubt we'll see another one from a big manufacturer, least of all Microsoft.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Going beyond expectations is what draws the buzz and gets devs excited about your platform. PC vendors were too cautious/too safe for far too long and lost momentum.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Dual CPU Designs don't offer that many advantages and the SUM has always been less than the Parts on each try...

zhenya

I agree in general terms, however I think that ultimately splitting the processor load in two is a hack that takes extra space and potentially programming overhead. Not to mention the fact that Intel would push back hard against any such product which is ultimately why it would never happen from a company like Microsoft.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Certainly anything half baked, or even 80% baked, would be derided unmercifully, best not try it.

CitizenXVIII

Sorry to jump in the middle here. I posted a new topic in the general forum about the Core M and got redirected to this thread.

Are the reports that heat throttling the i5/7 SP3 to the performance level of the i3 untrue? I was set to buy either the i5 or i7 versions until I read several separate benchmark reports that the only real difference between all SP3 versions was storage space because of heat management issues. I ask because I was excited about the possibility that the Core M-5Y71 configured up to the 6W TDP in basically the same form factor as the SP3 would be able to run full throttle comfortably in a vented and active-cooled space. Wouldn't the 5y71 outperfrom the 4300U given heat management issues?

I found this forum after a few days of sporadic research on this topic, but everyone here seems to be really down on the Core M. I know all the devices on the market now that run the M are configured for 4.5W in a passive-cooled shell, but I was thinking the SP4 might be the first to juice it up to 6W so we could see performance like this: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8515/quick-look-at-core-m-5y70-and-llama-mountain If there happened to be any battery life growth, that would just be icing on the cake.

The 5y71 I am looking at: http://ark.intel.com/products/84672/Intel-Core-M-5Y71-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-2_90-GHz

Last edited: