What's new

Solved BSOD after installing Windows 10

Bill Slaunwhite

Has anyone experienced a BSOD causing the upgrade to Windows 10 install to revert back to Windows 8.1? I tried a few times and just after everything is complete and into its first boot to Windows 10 I get the BSOD. It tries twice then reverts back to 8.1. Does anyone have any thoughts? Nothing out of ordinary with my setup. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There must be 50 ways to get a BOSD. I think that is a song :)

Without knowing which one was referenced in the message any comment would be beyond a complete wild guess. You might have a better chance of winning the lottery.

OP
Bill Slaunwhite

Bill Slaunwhite

I'm in the Surface Pro 3 forum, so my SP3...is that you meant? Thanks for any suggestions. There also isn't enough time to view the error code otherwise I would have written it down.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm in the Surface Pro 3 forum, so my SP3...is that you meant? Thanks for any suggestions. There also isn't enough time to view the error code otherwise I would have written it down.
How were you installing? In place upgrade or clean install? What was attached at the time of the install? If doing an in place upgrade what are you using for Antivirus?

OP
Bill Slaunwhite

Bill Slaunwhite

HI Jeff, I was doing an upgrade and am using Avast Internet Security 2015. I did not have my SP3 in its docking station and had run "setup.exe" from a usb stick connected to my computer. The install went perfectly. The BSOD's happen only after doing it's final boot into Windows 10. It tried twice and then uninstalls Windows 10 and reverts back to Windows 8.1, which is good!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My thoughts exactly, I would in fact uninstall Avast and remove it from the dock....