What's new

Solved BSOD after multiple Surface Type-C Driver OPM errors in Event Viewer

brosenz

Today I put my SB2 15" into hibernation and got a BSOD:

Stop Code: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
What failed: cdd.dll

After it restarted I checked Event Viewer, and saw the exact same 2 messages will be triggered every 10 seconds exactly and they are non-stop, from yesterday at 4PM until today before the BSOD crash.

Surface Type-C Driver OPM command sequence timedout: Command 0x5.
Surface Type-C Driver OPM active command is cleared for recovery: Command 0x5.

Any idea what could be the root cause for this problem?

NOTE: I have no device connected to the USB-C port.

Attachments

• IMG_0728.JPG
    IMG_0728.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 655
  • Type-C Event Viewer Error.png
    Type-C Event Viewer Error.png
    345.2 KB · Views: 706
Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Today I put my SB2 15" into hibernation and got a BSOD:

Stop Code: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
What failed: cdd.dll

After it restarted I checked Event Viewer, and saw the exact same 2 messages will be triggered every 10 seconds exactly and they are non-stop, from yesterday at 4PM until today before the BSOD crash.

Surface Type-C Driver OPM command sequence timedout: Command 0x5.
Surface Type-C Driver OPM active command is cleared for recovery: Command 0x5.

Any idea what could be the root cause for this problem?
Do you have anything plugged into the Type C port? Adapter or Drive?

OP
B

brosenz

Do you have any pending Firmware Updates or OS Updates?
Everything is up to date in Windows Update. This is my first BSOD since I purchased the device about 6 weeks ago, so far things have been working flawlessly, I do not understand what happened, I was very happy with Windows 10 reliability. Now, not that much.

NOTE: What is the cdd.dll?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Everything is up to date in Windows Update. This is my first BSOD since I purchased the device about 6 weeks ago, so far things have been working flawlessly, I do not understand what happened, I was very happy with Windows 10 reliability. Now, not that much.

NOTE: What is the cdd.dll?
cdd.dll is a Dynamic Linked Library associated to the Canonical Display Driver - typically used by VMware Workstation or Player or other Desktop Virtualization Software (VirtualBox) and may also be used by desktop sharing programs as part of their install (WebEx, Go-to-Meeting, etc.)

OP
B

brosenz

cdd.dll is a Dynamic Linked Library associated to the Canonical Display Driver - typically used by VMware Workstation or Player or other Desktop Virtualization Software (VirtualBox) and may also be used by desktop sharing programs as part of their install (WebEx, Go-to-Meeting, etc.)
Thank you, I have no virtualization software installed (I had hyper-v installed but I uninstalled yesterday), I do have WebEx installed but it was not running when it crashed and I'm have not used it for about 2-3 weeks.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you, I have no virtualization software installed (I had hyper-v installed but I uninstalled yesterday), I do have WebEx installed but it was not running when it crashed and I'm have not used it for about 2-3 weeks.
Uninstall WebEx and see if it goes away, it's possible that the recent update is incompatible with the WebEx version of cdd.dll. You can also from an elevated cmd prompt run -

C:\>sfc /scannow

And see if it can fix it - there is a complete tutorial here - System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot

OP
B

brosenz

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I installed about 2 weeks ago the NVIDIA January Driver and about a week ago the Intel 620 December driver.
Roll back the Intel Driver, every time I've attempted to install the updated driver it has caused problems. I had to uninstall and delete the driver and then reboot.