What's new

BSOD are back

Seneleron

So the new unit was fine.. for 2 days. Now when I switch the clipboard around [stand mode] I've started getting WiFi no connectivity issues [missing network protocol, etc] followed by BSOD when I flip it back to laptop mode. So far I've seen internal power error, irql not less or equal to, and another one that I of course didn't write down but was linked to the GPU driver [so sayeth google]

Also, while I was able to switch graphics resolutions without issue in HoTS and Diablo 3, now I'm back to having to alt tab and clear the D3D fail message [or to just open task manager to get it to unstick]

I'm officially banging my head against the wall. It all seems to start with the WiFi fail, but I can't find any sort of updated driver [or cause for driver corruption] Scan disk reports nothing of note..

Before I concede defeat and return, anyone have any practical suggestions?

[I should note, I had the same issue develop on my old unit after about 5 days. It always seems to be tied to the WiFi issue, which seems to only happen when I'm on the opposite side of the house from the router-- IE, when I'm in my office [where the router lives] I haven't yet been able to duplicate the issue]

Last edited:
OP
Seneleron

Seneleron

And now a few hours later, re-attached the clipboard and was greeted with the amazing frozen black screen >< This sucks, I can re-image in an hour, but SHEESH

OP
Seneleron

Seneleron

I give up. Keyboard is now freezing, the entire base becoming nonresponsive for a minute or so, then coming back.

I guess I'm not the only one that has had to return multiple machines, but WOW that's some bad luck

I did consider the possibility of operator error, but I use the thing for office/productivity, media consumption, and a few blizzard games. About the only common Thread is that I regularly switch the clipboard between laptop and "stand" mode.

kiomon

I think this is software based, I don't think its the hardware. I saw the same sort of issues with my SP1 back around launch and slowly over time and updates it went away. I think MSFT just hasn't tested all the combinations of actions that can cause faults, so it comes down to getting a lot of users, crashing and reporting, and then they figure it out and fix it. My SB BSOs some times, normally when I take the screen on and off back to back in a short period of time, and I am using EDGE.

If your system is completely unusuable, then of course, keep exchanging them, but this feel very much like the ride on the original SP1, whether we like it or not, we have a beta product.