What's new

Bum Pro?

OP
C

Cike

Hi Cike,

Chat with MS support and ask for an exchange. They have this "advanced exchange" option where they will get you the new device and put a temporary hold on your credit card. Once you receive your new device you then ship your old one and when they receive your old device, they remove the hold on your credit card. You have 14 days to return your old device so you can continue using it (assuming it boots up lol) while waiting for your new one.

Actually, I think I'm going to run this back to Best Buy and use it as an opportunity to "supersize" to the 128GB model. I just wish that I could get it to boot one more time so I can erase the disk. I have to keep reminding myself that this isn't really a tablet and there is no hard-reset like an iPod because it's really a PC. If a kid at Best Buy suddenly gets it to boot, I know he'll get my login screen. Is there any way someone will be able to access the data? (There's nothing embarrassing on there, BTW :) --just work, Quicken, etc. )

C

jomon

I am in the same predicament as you are. I can't reset mine either before shipping it back to MS :(

Actually, I think I'm going to run this back to Best Buy and use it as an opportunity to "supersize" to the 128GB model. I just wish that I could get it to boot one more time so I can erase the disk. I have to keep reminding myself that this isn't really a tablet and there is no hard-reset like an iPod because it's really a PC. If a kid at Best Buy suddenly gets it to boot, I know he'll get my login screen. Is there any way someone will be able to access the data? (There's nothing embarrassing on there, BTW :) --just work, Quicken, etc. )

C

Cowboy

C
If you can make a WinPE USB drive or copy a Windows 8 install disk to a USB drive you can boot into the command prompt (Shift+F10 at the language screen). From there you could run diskpart, select the disk, and clean. If you can't do that then nobody else can get the data.

OP
C

Cike

If you can make a WinPE USB drive or copy a Windows 8 install disk to a USB drive you can boot into the command prompt (Shift+F10 at the language screen). From there you could run diskpart, select the disk, and clean. If you can't do that then nobody else can get the data.

I made a boot USD, but I haven't had any success in booting from it. When I turn it on, it goes straight to the security boot screen, unfortunately.

OP
C

Cike

Another one, seems like there's a lot of us here.[/QUOTE]

I've been searching the web for resolutions for the last week and a half. At first, I could only find one other person having the problem I am. It seems like every day I find new people with unfixable hardware problems.

ScottJxB

I am exchanging mine after four days! I can't get the touch or screen keyboard to work. The touch won't even appear to log in. MS support re-installed Win 8 but that did not help. Staples is exchanging.

Scott