What's new

Bunch of Updates!!!

Nuspieds

I can only hope and pray that--amongst other things--this update finally fixes sleep, dock, and camera issues that a lot of us are still experiencing since the last update.

We've been patiently and agonizingly waiting so, please, Microsoft, I hope this update delivers.

mtmowl

Too soon to tell the extent of improvements, but what I can see so far looks good. Start up is behaving, at least under my normal usage, scrolling seems more precise, and general response time seems markedly quicker.
Let's hope.

Niterider4

The Microsoft update page says that it fixes both the wake-from-hibernate auto-rotate issue and Windows Hello. There are also new video drivers. Here's hoping ...

Edit: First test of wake-from-hibernate auto-rotate issue appears to have fixed the problem.

Last edited:

JaeMelo

Looking good so far. It appears they've creased out that slight hiccup with the display flickering upon detaching the clipboard from the base.. Feels like a seamless transition now.
If this update doesn't fix some of you guys issues id suggest a clean wipe. After wiping. Do not sign into your Microsoft account simply make a local account. Do all the Updates than the DSIM fix then finally add your Microsoft account. I was told to do this with my last Surface Book 1602 and surprising a few problems disappeared simply because of that.

Niterider4

My updates installed fine, but many people are having issues with the updates - BSODs and failed updates. I would suggest waiting a day or two until these issues are resolved before triggering the update, if you have not updated already.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-failure/286685a3-186c-42d4-a69f-2fa92bf8cbe0

Personally, I'm waiting for the day when my Surface Book is more like a dependable computer and less like a technology project that requires frequent monitoring and maintenance.

JaeMelo

My updates installed fine, but many people are having issues with the updates - BSODs and failed updates. I would suggest waiting a day or two until these issues are resolved before triggering the update, if you have not updated already.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-failure/286685a3-186c-42d4-a69f-2fa92bf8cbe0

Personally, I'm waiting for the day when my Surface Book is more like a dependable computer and less like a technology project that requires frequent monitoring and maintenance.
Same here however I'm willing to bet at least some of those people with those issues haven't performed let alone are aware of the DSIM/sfc scannow fix. I honestly believe a clean install of windows 10 + the latest drivers/updates would be a true fix. It would skip right through all the residue of the past failed updates and patches. However this is still no excuse... ultimately this is still Microsoft's fault. I have never seen such inconsistency across both the same hardware/software in my entire life and Ive been around computers since AS400. I really hope they get it right with the next SurfaceBook before it gets out the door because this product is still somewhat of a hot mess.

Last edited:

dstrauss

Same here however I'm willing to bet at least some of those people with those issues haven't performed let alone are aware of the DSIM/sfc scannow fix. I honestly believe a clean install of windows 10 + the latest drivers/updates would be a true fix. It would skip right through all the residue of the past failed updates and patches...

Listen to what you are saying - might as well as fight with Linux...

JaeMelo

Do what ever floats your boat buddy. I'm just giving input on what has worked for myself. If backing up personal content and starting fresh from a clean copy of Windows is what it takes to eliminate inherited problems of Microsoft's progressive mess through updates then so be it. However if doing just that is to much work for you or not worth it than feel free to venture down your own path whether it be living with problems or installing a Linux partition.

Last edited:

Nuspieds

On the Surface Book Update History site, it states:
Surface Camera drivers set (v30.10586.7035.1976) improves Windows Hello stability.
  • Intel(R) AVStream Camera 2500 driver update (v30.10586.7035.1976)
  • Intel(R) Control Logic driver update (v30.10586.7035.1976)
  • Intel(R) CSI2 Host Controller driver update (v30.10586.7035.1976)
  • Intel(R) Imaging Signal Processor 2500 driver update (v30.10586.7035.1976)
  • Microsoft Camera Front driver update (v30.10586.7035.1976)
  • Microsoft Camera Rear driver update (v30.10586.7035.1976)
  • Microsoft IR Camera Front driver update (v30.10586.7035.1976)
But when I was checking the versions of the drivers, I do not see those versions and they are the 2015 drivers.

So I connected with Microsoft and the support agent told me that it is a known issue with the camera drivers and they are working on a subsequent update specifically for the camera to get these drivers out, but properly this time.

I don't always immediately believe anything a support agent says, so does anyone else see the same thing? Or are you seeing the versions as documented on the site?

Thanks!

rubaxter

Unfortunately, my SurfaceBook has turned into an expensive science fair basket case and I've reverted to a dual book MacBook Pro as my reliable portable.

SurfaceBook makes me want to mechanically agitate that project team almost as much as I want to do the same to the team that decided to screw up,... improve my security by pushing updates without my permission or knowledge, just like this alleged cure-all for the SB.

dstrauss

Do what ever floats your boat buddy. I'm just giving input on what has worked for myself. If backing up personal content and starting fresh from a clean copy of Windows is what it takes to eliminate inherited problems of Microsoft's progressive mess through updates then so be it. However if doing just that is to much work for you or not worth it than feel free to venture down your own path whether it be living with problems or installing a Linux partition.

You are completely missing my point - are the Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book intended as general purpose computers, or only as experimental prototype science fair projects for tech enthusiasts? When was the last time you saw ANYTHING about a Dell, Lenovo, HP, Acer, or other notebook/laptop/tablet where the UNIVERSAL answer to using the system successfully is to require users to do a fresh install of the OS out of the box (or weeks/months later after repeated update failures). I've probably (re)installed Windows 10 on more Surface units than you've owned, so it's not a matter of being lazy or lacking requisite skills - it is a matter of "It should not be this way!"