What's new

Bunch of Updates!!!

Niterider4

I have to admit that the ease with which posters and Microsoft support tell Surface Book users to reinstall Windows is extremely disturbing. This approach to problem solving takes me back to the earliest days of PC computing, when hardware vendors and others would routinely suggest such action because they had no idea what they were talking about.

This approach (reinstalling Windows as an initial problem-solving strategy) is based on two dubious assumptions: First, reinstalling Windows MIGHT work, so why not give it a shot. Second, the time, energy and convenience of users is disposable. The facts are that reinstalling Windows often does not work, and my time and energy are hardly disposable.

To my mind, for Microsoft to routinely recommend reinstalling their own OS on their own hardware as a first step in problem solving, instead of a more rational and scientific approach, is both lazy and insulting.

The bottom line for me is: If Microsoft had designed the Surface Book to work properly with Windows 10 before selling the product to customers, we would not have to deal with this sort of nonsense.

JaeMelo

You are completely missing my point - are the Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book intended as general purpose computers, or only as experimental prototype science fair projects for tech enthusiasts? When was the last time you saw ANYTHING about a Dell, Lenovo, HP, Acer, or other notebook/laptop/tablet where the UNIVERSAL answer to using the system successfully is to require users to do a fresh install of the OS out of the box (or weeks/months later after repeated update failures). I've probably (re)installed Windows 10 on more Surface units than you've owned, so it's not a matter of being lazy or lacking requisite skills - it is a matter of "It should not be this way!"
I never said it should be this way wtf?! Where exactly did I say it should be that way?! Have you even seen any of my past rant posts?! I am just as frustrated with Microsoft and their incompetent Surface Team as everyone else. Jeeze dude get off my back. All I was trying to do is shed some light on a way through all the mess that worked for myself.

Honestly, I dont care how many Surface Books you've installed Windows 10 on. If those are your credentials in your own d*ck measuring contest than I feel bad for you. If you aren't providing an alternative fix than why not dismiss yourself? Can't you find something else to do with your spare time other than looking for petty discussions to stir up discord over?

Last edited:

dstrauss

I never said it should be this way wtf?! Where exactly did I say it should be that way?! Have you even seen any of my past rant posts?! I am just as frustrated with Microsoft and their incompetent Surface Team as everyone else. Jeeze dude get off my back. All I was trying to do is shed some light on a way through all the mess that worked for myself.

Honestly, I dont care how many Surface Books you've installed Windows 10 on. If those are your credentials in your own d*ck measuring contest than I feel bad for you. If you aren't providing an alternative fix than why not dismiss yourself? Can't you find something else to do with your spare time other than looking for petty discussions to stir up discord over?

Projecting much?

You are completely missing my point - are the Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book intended as general purpose computers, or only as experimental prototype science fair projects for tech enthusiasts? When was the last time you saw ANYTHING about a Dell, Lenovo, HP, Acer, or other notebook/laptop/tablet where the UNIVERSAL answer to using the system successfully is to require users to do a fresh install of the OS out of the box (or weeks/months later after repeated update failures). I've probably (re)installed Windows 10 on more Surface units than you've owned, so it's not a matter of being lazy or lacking requisite skills - it is a matter of "It should not be this way!"

Hmmm... on the one hand I agree it isn't supposed to be "this way." On the other I wouldn't necessary lump the SP4 and the SB into the same bucket on this one. I've had an original SP, two SP3 Pros and one SP4. Haven't had nowhere near the hardware or software problems I see others up here have had other than the self-inflicted, and accepted by choice, heartburn of multiple FBLs on Windows 10 this time last year prior to RTM.

mva5580

I have to admit that the ease with which posters and Microsoft support tell Surface Book users to reinstall Windows is extremely disturbing. This approach to problem solving takes me back to the earliest days of PC computing, when hardware vendors and others would routinely suggest such action because they had no idea what they were talking about.

This approach (reinstalling Windows as an initial problem-solving strategy) is based on two dubious assumptions: First, reinstalling Windows MIGHT work, so why not give it a shot. Second, the time, energy and convenience of users is disposable. The facts are that reinstalling Windows often does not work, and my time and energy are hardly disposable.

To my mind, for Microsoft to routinely recommend reinstalling their own OS on their own hardware as a first step in problem solving, instead of a more rational and scientific approach, is both lazy and insulting.

The bottom line for me is: If Microsoft had designed the Surface Book to work properly with Windows 10 before selling the product to customers, we would not have to deal with this sort of nonsense.

Totally, infinitely agree. It's pretty sad how often that is offered as a "solution" to just about any Surface product.

Niterider4

The 4/19 updates seem to have fixed my remaining SB issues. I can now, for the first time, use sleep and/or hibernate without any apparent problems.

I am happy to finally have the product that I thought I bought in the first place. But I spent a lot of time and energy over the past six months dealing with issues that I should not have had to deal with in an expensive supposedly premium laptop.

I am pleased that Microsoft has been able to fix all the issues with the SB, but I remain very disappointed in Microsoft for releasing the product far too soon and with all kinds of problems that they must have known about if they did any testing at all.

I love my SB, but I would be very wary about buying another premium Microsoft piece of hardware.