What's new

Buy in USA, live in EU, how does warranty work?

Foehammer

So i'll shortly buy a surface pro 4, i5, 8gb ram.

My friend will actually buy it for me from BHphotovideo in US NY. But i myself reside in Sweden. The SP4 will probably not be opened and started before reaching Swedish soil.

Therefore i am a little bit worried about warranty.

Just want to know if anyone knows something about this. if i have an obvious product faul/warranty issue.

Would i send it back to the store? Send it back to Microsoft? Could i choose who i send it back to? Who would pay for the shipping costs?

How long does the warranty last in the US anyway? In Sweden we have 2 years for all products like this.

Worried since i have read about some peoples problems.

Minor to moderate light bleed would of course be acceptable. And so is of course software problems like the problems with Edge and so on.

Thanks for any answers :)

Afy

You may run into issues with the warranty.
If MS would need you to ship it to the US, you would need to pay for it.
More importantly I believe they require a US based return address that is not a PO box.
I do not think you would have a say in choosing who you ship it to either.
The US warranty I believe is 1 year, and Swedish law will not be applicable in the US.

Yes it is likely to be considerably more expensive to buy in Sweden than in the US. However I would recommend buying it locally, the peace of mind is well worth it.

OP
F

Foehammer

You may run into issues with the warranty.
If MS would need you to ship it to the US, you would need to pay for it.
More importantly I believe they require a US based return address that is not a PO box.
I do not think you would have a say in choosing who you ship it to either.
The US warranty I believe is 1 year, and Swedish law will not be applicable in the US.

Yes it is likely to be considerably more expensive to buy in Sweden than in the US. However I would recommend buying it locally, the peace of mind is well worth it.

But don't microsoft have International warranty?

I mean, soon (this month) they are going to be selling the SP4 in Sweden, exactly the same specs and the keyboard having different symbols won't be a problem since The SP4 does not have a keyboard ^^

theprophe

You should check with MS Sweden, but I believe they would cover the warranty for 1 year (the US length

Of course you would have to pay the almost 9% tax at bhphoto, and I'm assuming you wont be declaring it, so there Is always the risk of customs officer checking the serial number anytime you reenter the EU .

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is an answer from MS regarding the warranty on the S3

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Store.

As we spoke over the phone, I am sending you this email with the information required.

If you purchase the Surface Pro 3 in the USA and you are going to use in the UK, in case of damage you can claim it in the Uk and any other country where the surface is available.

Each physical product purchased in one country it will go under the warranty law of that particular country, no matter the place where it was used. If you purchase the Surface pro 3 in USA you will have one year as a standard warranty even if the standard warranty in the UK it is for 3 years.

Afy

Here is an answer from MS regarding the warranty on the S3

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Store.

As we spoke over the phone, I am sending you this email with the information required.

If you purchase the Surface Pro 3 in the USA and you are going to use in the UK, in case of damage you can claim it in the Uk and any other country where the surface is available.

Each physical product purchased in one country it will go under the warranty law of that particular country, no matter the place where it was used. If you purchase the Surface pro 3 in USA you will have one year as a standard warranty even if the standard warranty in the UK it is for 3 years.
That is good to know. Learn something new everyday. :)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is good to know. Learn something new everyday. :)

IT was mostly for reference, and i would definately check with MS regarding the SP4 (although i imagine the warranty will be identical) but yes, it would appear that you'll be able to send it to a UK address for warranty claims.

alexd88

I am in the same position, I asked on their us site at talk with an expert and he told me that the warranty is available only in us. Won't be available in the uk or in france or any eu country.

OP
F

Foehammer

I emailed both Bhphotovidoe and called Microsoft. Both said the same thing kinda.

Bhphotovideo said their warranty does not work in Sweden. And that they was sure the same went for Microsoft.

Microsoft told me I would have to send the Surface back to the US, even though they are sold in Sweden too, warranty goes for the country you bought it in. And if i send it back I would have to pay for shipping. Also i would need a US address for them to send it too after repairs.

To many problems. Sorry MS, i'm going Mac this time around. First expensive computer i buy, wanted a pc, but MS failed royally in that regard. I mean, i could have gone with another pc, IF there would have been any at all that has the same build quality as a Mac or surface or Chrome Pixel. To bad really.

The price difference of the Surface from the US and Sweden is like if you guys had to pay aprox 1800 dollars for the 1299 model (with type cover). Just absurd. The Macbook pro goes for aprox 1400 dollars here. Just can't justify the Surface even though i want it.

alexd88

I would buy it from france because it has 2 years warranty and if i would take it from us it would have 1 year warranty + extended warranty it would be 100 $ less, and they would ship it to my country, and i can use that warranty if i had any problems.

OP
F

Foehammer

2 years warranty in Sweden too. But if i bought it in france i'd still have the same problems about repairs/warranty. And a missing address that i don't have.

alexd88

I ordered few minutes ago, I'm from Romania, they will shipping it into my country (here is not for sale on microsoftstore). I looked now, they will ship also in your country if they are shipping into my country. But why you don't buy it from sweden? (is more expensive than 1450 E i5 8gb without keyboard) I didn't buy my keyboard i will buy it from us, because i hate france keyboard i'm used with us international keyboard. And the warranty must be available because Romania is an EU country, and rules in warranty they are applaing to all eu contries