What's new

Buy keyboard section only?

elee532

Do you think at some point Microsoft might sell just the keyboard part of the Surface Book? I'd love to have one keyboard at the office and one at home.

I suppose the fact that there are multiple versions (i.e. with and without dGP) makes this more complicated and less likely?

mcsenerd

Wait until folks are out of warranty and they bork their display... I'm sure some will try to part with their undamaged keyboard section.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
You may have noticed that your serial number is not on the screen (the essential computer), but on the keyboard. So we have one device in two parts. Because it is not two devices, and inventory accounting is stranded for the screen, I doubt that it would ever be sold separately.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You may have noticed that your serial number is not on the screen (the essential computer), but on the keyboard. So we have one device in two parts. Because it is not two devices, and inventory accounting is stranded for the screen, I doubt that it would ever be sold separately.
I guess that solves the whole serial number swapping scheme. ;)

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Nope....I met with the engineering and marketing team this week and there are no plans currently to sell them separately....

Aegeas

I guess that means we will never be able to buy a new keyboard section to upgrade the GPU when a new version comes out.