What's new

Poll buy or not buy now, that's a problem

buy or not buy now?

• Total voters

unruledboy

well, we all know that only 3 days in the market, problems here and there.

looking back, it's a tradition of surface.

I was kinda hoping Surface Book can sit on top of the shoulders of it's brothers, but now I am not so sure.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like a fail to me. Going to wait and see what, if anything, software updates can fix.

The design is completely flawed from the get go if you ask me.

fletch33

bought it when BB opened on Monday and returned it around 6pm so had it for 8 hours. i knew within 15 minutes it wasnt there yet but gave it a few more hours to try and get on-board with it.

a quick few reasons:

ALSO KEEP IN MIND - i5 with 256GB HDD cost $2,000

1. felt large and heavy immediately upon getting it out of box and was much larger than a MBP 13 i have
2. using it as laptop it looked and felt like a BIG tablet sitting on a keyboard
3. when using on lap the hinge will pinch you every time when you adjust the screen
4. obviously you would purchase this over a laptop because it becomes a tablet but in that mode you have no ports and very short battery life

i REALLY REALLY wanted to love it but i barely liked it and returned it for a SP4

i am hoping that like the Surface itself when it gets a few updates it will be something i can buy again

Telstar1948

These comments, and others in other threads, simply reinforce the "different strokes for different folks" observation.

I have the SP3 and really like it - I don't like it's very limited graphics capability. I like it's portability, but I use it mostly in the MS dock on my desk hooked up to all sorts of stuff including a large monitor. I don't have to do multiple meetings, or business trips, as many of you do, so I only carry it out of my house (office is in my house) maybe once a week, and it's with me on any trip I might make. Even when I use it in "tablet" mode (my tablet mode, not MS's idea of tablet mode), I keep the type cover attached in every instance using, mostly, the desktop. Yes, it's attached when I'm sitting on the couch with it in my lap using touch on the screen. I detest on-screen keyboards, but the type cover helps in stability on the lap plus I can quickly type away on something if needed.

Enter the Surface Book. When I first saw the SB, it struck a real cord. You see, I'm one of those guys that really likes the SP, but really my orientation is more from the other end of the telescope: I'm much more in favor of the SB where I can remove the clipboard when needed, which would probably be only 10% of the time. That's my use case, so SB here I come! Just have to figure out which major home appliance to I want to sell to finance it...

I got an I5 128GB yesterday morning. Haven't had any issues. It was more than I wanted to spend, but I'm really liking it so far.

I'm aware people are having some issues, but I don't think this is a fail by any means.

mkenny28

I got an I7/512GB/16GB dGPU on Tuescday and have been hammering it ever since. Beside one initial SNAFU after the firmware update this thing has been rock solid and is now my all day work laptop and at home living room tablet. Battery life has been great minus the sleep battery drain issue (which coincidentally my Yoga 2 Pro just started doing too) but that is easily fixed by having it hibernate with lid closed. I did that last night and had 0% battery drain when I started it up this morning. My MBP has a little dust on it since I haven't touched it all week; I may actually sell it. It sucks that others are having all the issues that they are but I would be interested to see how many are having the same experience I am.

bought it when BB opened on Monday and returned it around 6pm so had it for 8 hours. i knew within 15 minutes it wasnt there yet but gave it a few more hours to try and get on-board with it.

a quick few reasons:

ALSO KEEP IN MIND - i5 with 256GB HDD cost $2,000

1. felt large and heavy immediately upon getting it out of box and was much larger than a MBP 13 i have
2. using it as laptop it looked and felt like a BIG tablet sitting on a keyboard
3. when using on lap the hinge will pinch you every time when you adjust the screen
4. obviously you would purchase this over a laptop because it becomes a tablet but in that mode you have no ports and very short battery life

i REALLY REALLY wanted to love it but i barely liked it and returned it for a SP4

i am hoping that like the Surface itself when it gets a few updates it will be something i can buy again

How do you like the SP4? I upgraded to the SB from an i5 256 SP3. So far I like it but miss the tablet-like portability of the SP. The SB clipboard works well in stand alone mode but like you it does feel a litter large / heavy when attached to the keyboard.. Perhaps I just need to get used to it.

samurai

For me kickstand is a big deal. I love using my SP3 in tablet mode with kickstand when I am on couch or bed. I would have considered if SB had a kickstand. But I guess MS wanted it to differentiate from SP as laptop first and tablet next and also thinness could have been a factor.

fletch33

How do you like the SP4? I upgraded to the SB from an i5 256 SP3. So far I like it but miss the tablet-like portability of the SP. The SB clipboard works well in stand alone mode but like you it does feel a litter large / heavy when attached to the keyboard.. Perhaps I just need to get used to it.

love the SP4 more than my SP3. wasnt a huge upgrade but enough to make me appreciate it.

to add what others have said here i didnt have any "issues" with the performance of the Book and it performed as expected. i just thought the design and build didnt make sense in many aspects and for the $$$ it seemed unpolished

Korlon

I've always been a buy later kind of guy, sometimes waiting for 2nd gen. In practical terms I don't need cutting edge tech to do my job or for my day to day computing so even though I'm excited about the SB and SP4 my SP2 is still working fine.

One reason I like to wait beyond the tech specs is the price. When I spend that kind of money on anything I would like to know the machine is stable and that there is a body of text/experience around that can help if issues arise. The MS stores around me are a very inconvenient to get to and returning a defective $5k (Canadian dollars)product would not make me happy. And to head you off at the pass, I hate dealing with Best Buy.

Another reason is if I do have to return something I would like to know there is new stock available to replace it, not the refurbished rubbish MS exchanges with. Getting a refund then buying a new unit at the physical store is the only way I know to do that.

Finally, I am always distrustful of first gen product of any kind regardless of the manufacturer.