What's new

Buy SP4 now or wait for SP5

Hi everyone,

I've been eyeing the Surface Pro 4 ever since it came out. I'm a freelance consultant, I need a slick looking and portable machine to work on-site with clients. It needs to be fast, reliable and (did I mention?) slick looking.

However, I still had a Macbook Pro from 2012 (still do) and I'm someone who doesn't waste money. I wasn't going to switch until I had at least 5 years on the odometer with this computer.

That time has come, BUT I had anticipated on the Surface Pro 5 being a thing right now. As we all know, it's not even been announced yet.

So the question is: do I get a Surface Pro 4 now (and which model, considering it's now already slightly aged and I want to log another 5 years if possible) or do I spend a few more months on the ol' heavy Macbook and wait it out?

I would love to hear your advice!

P.S.: I don't have to do any video stuff or heavy graphical work on my computer. I want it to run smoothly in the day to day, be stable (not crash during Skype!!) and if possible play the occasional game (usually strategy or RPG, no shooters).

Exhile

The SP5 won't come out until October. (so the rumor says). If you can get some more mileage out of your Macbook Pro and wait it out until the SP5 comes out, patience is a virtue.

OP
F

FlatSurface

The SP5 won't come out until October. (so the rumor says). If you can get some more mileage out of your Macbook Pro and wait it out until the SP5 comes out, patience is a virtue.

Yeah? It'll be that much better?

I guess my main gripe with the current model is the limited battery life.

MickeyLittle

I have owned the Pro 4 but now own the low end Surface Book and really love it over the SP4. There are usually some good deals floating around on this model i5, 128GB for around $1299 if you keep your eyes open; unless it is too heavy.

If so then I would agree with Exhile for you to wait on the SP5 for the simple reason that the SP4 is already close to 1.5 years old and you plan to keep it 4-5 years.

btw... battery life on the SB is amazing!

OP
F

FlatSurface

Well, I should note I'm in the Netherlands and the SB was just released here.

Although I am likely visiting the US, so I suppose I could pick one up. But then isn't the SB also a tad older?

MickeyLittle

Well, I should note I'm in the Netherlands and the SB was just released here.

Although I am likely visiting the US, so I suppose I could pick one up. But then isn't the SB also a tad older?

They both came out at the end of October 2015 but my comparison was between the SP4 and the SB in that except for the overall weight and cost the SB is a better machine in my opinion.

Exhile

Yeah? It'll be that much better?

I guess my main gripe with the current model is the limited battery life.
The docking connector will be kept the same on the SP5. The CPU may use a Coffee Lake processor instead of a Kaby Lake one. Who knows about the screen size, screen resolution and battery life. I've gotten 4-5 hours of battery life on my SP4 from using YouTube and web surfing.

CaptainTime

If the SP5 comes out in October, I would likely wait. You could probably pick up the 4 at a really good price once the 5 comes out or go with the 5 right off. I think paying full price now for the 4 would be a waste.

convergent

I am in a somewhat similar position as you... Mac user and having a desire/need to get an SP4 for some months now. I decided to go ahead and get it a few days ago and love it. If you wait a half a year, you've lost all that usage time. When the new one finally comes out, who knows what it will be and if it will provide any reason to buy it over an SP4 that is cheaper. Recall the latest MacBookPro from Apple that so many waited for and then hated when it finally was announced.

OP
F

FlatSurface

Which one did you get? I have a i7 MBP because I wanted snappy behaviour. But I don't do any graphically intense stuff at all.

I'm also anxious about the battery life, I work away from home a lot. How is that?

convergent

Which one did you get? I have a i7 MBP because I wanted snappy behaviour. But I don't do any graphically intense stuff at all.

I'm also anxious about the battery life, I work away from home a lot. How is that?

I got the SP4 i5 8G 256G model. My intention is to have it replace my work Dell which is spec'd exactly the same. I have two Macs... a Mini with i5 10G 1.5TB SSD (2 SSD internal drives); and an older MacBookAir with i5 4G 256GB. The MacBookAir I loaned to my daughter for her first couple of years of college and she just bought a top of the line MBP a few months ago so it came back. All of these handle what I do fine; so expect the SP4 I got will be OK other than maybe the 256G will be a limit to me at some point. I will keep using my Mac Mini for photo work and maybe dream about the Surface Studio!

I do travel, but haven't been out of my home office with the SP4 yet. I expect I'll need to buy an external battery pack which I carried with me already for the Dell. My last trip was to Singapore and one of the legs of the trip was 16 hours, so doubtful anything would last that long. I didn't actually use my computer that much on the trip... only a few hours. But I always carry an external battery just in case I run into power adapter problems or anything that might give me battery trouble.