What's new

Buy SP4 now or wait for SP5

OP
F

FlatSurface

Time for an update.

So, now know we're getting an updated SP: Surface Pro – De meest veelzijdige laptop

Same awesome design, I love the new typecover colours and the fanless i5 will make me go for that one over the m3.

BUT the competition isn't sitting still either.

HP Spectre x2 looks NUTS cool. Even better display resolution, something that looks like an even better keyboard and the new HP design is on par with the Surface machines (personal opinion).

And then there's that new sexy thing from Dell. I don't need the wireless charging gimmick, it again looks like a more appealing keyboard than the SP.

Looks like I'm going to have to wait for the actual reviews to come in (I want to know about battery life!), but I'm glad I didn't get a SP4 yet. All of these look much nicer.

Opinions?

convergent

Time for an update.

So, now know we're getting an updated SP: Surface Pro – De meest veelzijdige laptop

Same awesome design, I love the new typecover colours and the fanless i5 will make me go for that one over the m3.

BUT the competition isn't sitting still either.

HP Spectre x2 looks NUTS cool. Even better display resolution, something that looks like an even better keyboard and the new HP design is on par with the Surface machines (personal opinion).

And then there's that new sexy thing from Dell. I don't need the wireless charging gimmick, it again looks like a more appealing keyboard than the SP.

Looks like I'm going to have to wait for the actual reviews to come in (I want to know about battery life!), but I'm glad I didn't get a SP4 yet. All of these look much nicer.

Opinions?

That HP is not bad, but the gold kick stand really turns me off to it. The Dell is nice looking but I think it is more a competitor for the Surface Book than the Pro. Both of these are likely to be no cheaper than the Surface Pro. I'm sticking with the new Surface Pro.

OP
F

FlatSurface

Anyone else got an opinion on this?

It's the new SP vs HP Spectre x2 vs Dell 5825 for me.

HP stands out because of the specs vs price (i7 and Iris for the same price as the SP i5...), but I'm worried about battery life.

Cuchulainn

HP stands out because of the specs vs price (i7 and Iris for the same price as the SP i5...), but I'm worried about battery life.

I have no favorite horse in the race, as far as brand loyalty, having just picked up my first Windows machine in about a decade....

The battery life is apparently not so great for the HP, so if your planning to use it unplugged a lot, that's a big consideration. Also, the fan apparently kicks on frequently and noisily. Pen is more on par with the older Surface pen, and has some noticeable latency. That's really only a big deal if you're a frequent pen user. Kickstand is an odd design, imho. First, I find the color awful. That's a subjective thing, I know, but I find it ugly. Range of motion is more inline with the SP4 than the new SP. Also, its slick, and I don't mean that in a good way. Its slippery and harder to open and also doesn't stay put as well as the SP's thin design.

As for the Dell, it seems to be more a Surface Book competitor, than Surface Pro, as Convergent mentioned. That said, if I was going with that form factor. I would buy the Dell over the Surface Book I think, if it were my money to spend.

The HP is a lower cost and maybe a better bang for the buck, the Dell a different form factor. I went for the new Surface Pro.

OP
F

FlatSurface

@Cuchulainn are we talking about the same Dell? The 5825 is almost an identical copy to the SP, it's not even close to the Book. Why would you face it off against that instead of the SP?

Cuchulainn

Perhaps not. I was thrown off by the link to the Dell 7285 that you had provided above and apparently missed the 5285 :)

The 5285 seems to be almost an identical copy, as you say. Reading some reviews, it seems the kickstand is a bit flimsier, the battery life not as good (claimed about 8 hours), and it is a little thicker but has some nice touches like the use of a magnet to keep the keyboard closed. It also uses a Wacom pen which you may or may not like better and does include USB-C ports. If you value the ports or prefer the pen over thinness or battery life, that may push you toward the Dell over the Surface Pro. I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

Edit: Looks like the Dell has a lower resolution 1920x1280 (188PPI) display compared to the 2736x1824 (267PPI) display of the new Surface Pro. Maybe not a big deal if your using it primarily as a business tool.

Last edited:

convergent

I've had the new SP for almost a month. I played with the HP in Best Buy for a few minutes. I've not laid eyes on the Dell.

My opinion is the new SP is a great machine. I have the i5, so totally silent operation and performance has been great. I am getting 8-10 hours of usage on a charge, for work. That is usage, not elapsed time. For example, I spent 8 hours yesterday in meetings taking notes in tablet mode for about 45 minutes and then popping on the keyboard and doing other work in MS Office and Firefox between them. I intentionally left it uncharged that whole time.

The inking experience to me is nearly perfect. There's no lag at all that I can tell, and the feel of it is like writing with the best gel pen you could buy. But this is better than paper, because you get an ink result, but can erase, change colors and textures... loving the experience in OneNote.

The display is gorgeous. I've been in meetings with colleagues that are using our company issue Dell Lattitudes and their screens look horrible... can't believe I had been using that every day.

There is not much that I am not loving about the Surface Pro.

In contrast, the HP Spectre ... I've heard the battery life is more on part with SP4. The keyboard is metal instead of the SP fabric (although you can use the SP keyboard if you want), but I don't find the metal keyboard any more firm; and the key travel on the new SP is way better. The pen experience I believe is also far superior to the HP. Finally, I have read some reports of fan noise the HP too. Its definitely a better price point; but I in tend to keep my machines for about 5 years or so; so I don't mind spending a little more.

My only wish is that there were a larger SSD available with the i5. I'd love to get a 512GB drive with i5/8G RAM.

Cuchulainn

I looked at that HP, probably doesn’t help that I have a real deep rooted hatred for HP, from past experience, but it just didn’t interest me. The Dell I never even considered, not because its a bad machine, it just never hit my radar and I wasn’t even aware of that model. That 7285 is damned nice though. I would definitely buy that over a Surface Book, if I was in the market for that form factor.

The more I use my Surface Pro, the more I am liking it. Took it with me this weekend, packing it on my motorcycle, which was one of the main reasons I bought it. It worked perfectly for what I bought it for. That Dell looks to be more of a “business class” machine and other than the USB-C ports, which I kind of wish the Surface Pro had at least one of, I can’t find anything else that would appeal to me over the Surface Pro.

I agree with Convergent on the configurations. I DO wish they had a few more options. A 512GB Drive with the I5/8GB or in my case a 512GB I7/8GB. It’s kind of annoying that you have to buy both 16GB RAM *and* 512GB SSD. You can’t just have one or the other.

Microsoft seems to have done alright with the fan on the I7, I really only ever hear it run in a very quite room. Otherwise it is pretty darned quiet.

OP
F

FlatSurface

Thanks guys.

I currently have a Macbook with a i7 with 8 Gigs of RAM... it's from 2012. Think I'll notice the difference if I go for the SP i5? Not too fussed about storage, just care a LOT about user experience. I want everything to just work, to be smooth.

Or would the i7/16 Gigs be a better bet for the future? No, I don't do video editing or anything. If I had this one I would game on it, if I get the i5 I just won't (or at least less intensive games). But I have a lot of things open at the same time, I don't want it to grind to a halt in 3 years!

Last edited:

Cuchulainn

I don't think you would be unhappy going with the SP i5 over the 2012 MacBook. I had a 2012 MBP pro prior and the SP i5 is a nice step up. I originally purchased the i5, but decided to swap it for the i7, because I use it for some photography and video work, but otherwise I think the i5 is more than adequate for the majority of folks.

As far as future? If your someone who keeps your computer for awhile and it seems you do, I am all for buying as much as you can afford. I know some folks upgrade almost annually, so will only have the 2017 Surface Pro until the next best thing comes along. But you have had your MacBook for 5+ years. If you plan to keep the next one that long, it might be worth the investment if you feel your needs may grow in the future.

As far as having a lot of things open, memory management seems to be excellent with Windows 10 and I think you would be hard pressed to need more than 8 for much other than VM's, some hard core video rendering, heavy photo work with layers, etc. But the 16 GB is part and parcel with the 512 SSD

I am not much of a gamer, but for a 2-1 that is *definitely* not marketed as a gaming machine, the benchmarks for the i7, Iris 640, 16GB, 512 SSD look fairly impressive for what is a device sold primarily for mobility....

OP
F

FlatSurface

Too bad that version is like $2500. I can invest into a new computer, but that's too much for me.

Maybe I should just get a laptop? haha.