What's new

Poll Buying a Book Friday... storage question

128gb vs 256gb - which one?

• Total voters

Spartan X

Thank-you everyone for your feedback. At the end of the day I listened to my budget and went with SP4 i5/8/256 and a teal cover. Loving it and drawing on it's big ass screen.

Hi!
I'm picking up my Surface Book Friday, looking at the base.... question is, will I be able to use an SDXC card to expand the storage later on? I would use it to store all of my Onedrive sync files and leave the internal drive for applications and OS to keep it running fast. Would it be better to go for the 256gb?

Better is a subjective statement but your opinions would help me in my deliberations. I appreciate any feedback you may have.

Last edited:

compnovo

I bought the base system with 128GB, and I haven't yet gone beyond half the storage available. I use OneDrive for some storage and a thumb drive for media. The SB will take an SD card if you need it, I just haven't yet.
I don't have a lot of applications installed, just Office 2016, and old version of Photoshop, things like that. I've been very happy with it.

Orlbuckeye

One of the disadvantages of the Surfaces you configuration options are limited. You can't pick and choose components like you can when you order a laptop from the OEM's. I ordered the 256 gb with the DGP and I've added a SDXC of 256 gb. I'm not worried about the SD card sticking out as it does for me. I myself like to have lots of room in case I need it.

Wayne Orwig

When you disconnect the clipboard section, you lose the SB card storage. Not an ideal situation if you always expect it to be there.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Could you elaborate? I'm interested to hear your reasons, I'm back and forth with it.... it's the screen size that has me hooked.

Thank you for your help.
You are paying a premium for a detachable Ultrabook, it sexy and the screen is gorgeous but for me I like the flexibility of the SP4. But I use tablet mode just as much as I use it as a laptop.

If you needed the dGPU, then I say go for the SB.

OP
Spartan X

Spartan X

You are paying a premium for a detachable Ultrabook, it sexy and the screen is gorgeous but for me I like the flexibility of the SP4. But I use tablet mode just as much as I use it as a laptop.

If you needed the dGPU, then I say go for the SB.

How is the sp4 more flexible? Fridays coming and I feel on the fence now. It's the screen and drawing space that has me hooked. Being able to surf like a laptop on the couch makes a big difference for me too. I love my sp2, screen space is the only complaint