What's new

Buying Surface Pro 3 this weekend, need advice please

OP
P

Pack3028

When the type cover is installed and closed on the device does it stay closed with a magnetic also or does it open easy? I was looking at getting the Zagg glass shield also for it, but didn't know if along with the type cover I would need another case as well while its in my work bag

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
When the type cover is installed and closed on the device does it stay closed with a magnetic also or does it open easy? I was looking at getting the Zagg glass shield also for it, but didn't know if along with the type cover I would need another case as well while its in my work bag
It's not held magnetically when closed. you may need to disable keyboard waking the device depending on your bag and how much jostling its receives. Some have also experienced the power button being depressed while in the bag. Obviously type of bag, orientation and other contents will vary so you may or may not have the same experience.

OP
P

Pack3028

It's not held magnetically when closed. you may need to disable keyboard waking the device depending on your bag and how much jostling its receives. Some have also experienced the power button being depressed while in the bag. Obviously type of bag, orientation and other contents will vary so you may or may not have the same experience.
Thank you for your quick response. is that a system setting in windows for the keyboard waking the device? I use a messenger laptop bag to and from work so it will be in the laptop slot in the bag. I dont want to buy anything not necessary right away when I go to get it today, I appreciate everyone on this forum for all the help and advice, I want to get the basics today to be productive and use it to its potential while protecting it as well. I think I am set on the i5 256gb with 8 Ram as well, I think it should run Adobe CC fine and the price will allow me left over for a type cover and case. Does anyone know for an external HDD what the best format would be on for it to be able to transfer media files between a Mac at work and still access and work on the Photoshop files on the Surface as well.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you for your quick response. is that a system setting in windows for the keyboard waking the device? I use a messenger laptop bag to and from work so it will be in the laptop slot in the bag. I dont want to buy anything not necessary right away when I go to get it today, I appreciate everyone on this forum for all the help and advice, I want to get the basics today to be productive and use it to its potential while protecting it as well. I think I am set on the i5 256gb with 8 Ram as well, I think it should run Adobe CC fine and the price will allow me left over for a type cover and case. Does anyone know for an external HDD what the best format would be on for it to be able to transfer media files between a Mac at work and still access and work on the Photoshop files on the Surface as well.
Yes there's a setting for that... Id see how it goes first if you experience the device waking in the bag then look into it otherwise know your natural tendencies are working to your advantage.

OP
P

Pack3028

Hey guys I am going out soon to buy my SP3, When I get it home are there new updates out that I will have to search for or is it normal Windows updates that will automatically run ?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys I am going out soon to buy my SP3, When I get it home are there new updates out that I will have to search for or is it normal Windows updates that will automatically run ?
Windows Update will get them... don't rush it, let it do its thing. It will probably have plenty to work through.

OP
P

Pack3028

Windows Update will get them... don't rush it, let it do its thing. It will probably have plenty to work through.
thank you, the difficult thing I think will be leaving it alone to update everything before I start setting it up and trying stuff out.

OP
P

Pack3028

Hey everyone I got the Sp3 i5 , I have to say so far im really enjoying everything I can do on it. I ran Windows Updater and it had 33 updates to install last night, are there any other updates I need to search for to install for the drivers for Adobe CC possibly or in general, or for the SP3 does Windows Updater cover everything I would need?