What's new

Buzzing Noise

Maybe someone can get me going in the right direction. I have had my Surface since launch day and have loved it and use it nearly everyday. No problems at all until last night when I experienced a loud "buzzing" noise from the left speaker. The problem maybe related to the headphone jack, because it is not present when I have headphones plugged in, which I know turns off the speakers, but audio is normal though the headphones. I rebooted and the noise began during the boot process, prior to screen display. It may be related to audio output and sounds like an accelerated version of sounds. It only comes from the left speaker. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the audio section without affecting the problem. Possibly a mechanical issue more than a software issue? any suggestions?
Thanks,
Rick

OP
Rick Sutliffe

Rick Sutliffe

do you get any sound from the rt speaker.

The right speaker works when the sound is ok. The buzzing is intermittent and last a few seconds at a time. Seems to be triggered by and audio event but sometimes happens when no sound is being produced by the pc. I find it curious that it occurs during a reboot. I don't remember a sound being produced during the boot process.

tonyz3

I get a similar sound - does not happen often and only seems to happen when i am connected thru Bluetooth and the sound comes from the Bluetooth speaker- sort of a distorted audio popping. but only lasts for a second. i thought maybe it was the BT skr but i can hook it up thru the audio jack and never get this sound. It does not happen often enough that is bothers me.

OP
Rick Sutliffe

Rick Sutliffe

FYI - no easy fix. MS support recommended replacement and I Advanced Exchanged the defective unit for a new one. The whole process took 2 days plus some reconfiguation time. All is good. Thanks for your help and advice.

Wingy291

Maybe someone can get me going in the right direction. I have had my Surface since launch day and have loved it and use it nearly everyday. No problems at all until last night when I experienced a loud "buzzing" noise from the left speaker. The problem maybe related to the headphone jack, because it is not present when I have headphones plugged in, which I know turns off the speakers, but audio is normal though the headphones. I rebooted and the noise began during the boot process, prior to screen display. It may be related to audio output and sounds like an accelerated version of sounds. It only comes from the left speaker. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the audio section without affecting the problem. Possibly a mechanical issue more than a software issue? any suggestions?
Thanks,
Rick

do you get any sound from the rt speaker.

Having the same problem with mine OP. Feeling annoyed that you fixed it by getting a new one. Blahhhh