What's new

By Way of An Intro

kristalsoldier

Hi all...

Just a few lines to say "hello". Just got my Surface RT a week or so back. I did spend a lot of time researching the Surface and was faced by the choice of either going in for the Pro or the RT version. In the end I chose the RT version because it seems to serve my purposes well. I opted to get the RT with the Type Cover. Why? Because I am in a profession which requires me to write a lot and from what I read the Type Cover was best suited for that purpose. I haven't been disappointed.

In so far as my kit is concerned, I use an Android phone and tablet (I have the Nexus 10, which I like a lot). I also have a ThinkPad which, since last week, remains on my desk tethered to an external monitor. And now I have the Surface.

In my initial and admittedly limited assessment, the Surface buy has proved to be a good one for me, personally, that is. Having an ultra light device with a functional keyboard and a virtually complete Office suite has relieved me of carrying my heavy ThinkPad and has enabled me to be more productive - especially at coffee shops and in libraries. I do like the Modern UI of Win 8 though I do think MS could do a lot more to make life a little easier integrating it better with the Desktop mode. But truth be told, I have no problem switching between the modes.

So, all in all, I am enjoying the use of the Surface RT - indeed, this post was written on it!

I look forward to participating in the various discussions on th forums here and of learning more about how to use the RT to greater effect from you all!

Cheers!

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Excellent choices. Welcome to the forums.

Thanks! The only odd item out from my kit is the phone, which is now around 1.5 years old. I did think about getting the Nexus 4, but after having got the Surface, I can't seem to justify the purchase. Instead, I got myself a Class 10 64GB MicroSD card and I am seriously looking at a BT mouse - current options are the MS Wedge and the Logitech T620 (which is a wireless USB mouse). I am tending towards the MS Wedge though.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Congrats and welcome. The wedge seems particularly suited to Windows 8 and the Surface tablets. If you need something larger than an on the go mouse though you may want to consider something more traditional.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Congrats and welcome. The wedge seems particularly suited to Windows 8 and the Surface tablets. If you need something larger than an on the go mouse though you may want to consider something more traditional.

Thanks. Please do suggest alternatives.

J515OP

Super Moderator
What is your primary use and purpose? If you are a light mouse user and want to take it with you get the wedge. If you are a heavy mouse user and even gamer then you may want something like a Razor. There are many mice for many purposes.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

What is your primary use and purpose? If you are a light mouse user and want to take it with you get the wedge. If you are a heavy mouse user and even gamer then you may want something like a Razor. There are many mice for many purposes.

No gaming for me I'm afraid. Principally, it is for Office and web use. Plus, being lightweight is a plus. I like the BT element - though I am not sure of the battery impact - as it keeps the USB port open. On the other hand I got myself a Hama USB hub. I guess when I bought it I was thinking about using a USB mouse in conjunction with a 100GB external drive. That option remains open.

souldier

Happy for your purchase and welcome to the forum! I really love the surface RT but there are some desktop apps that I need to run, so I opted for the Pro. Wish my budget would allow me to have both!

souldier

I love the look of the wedge and tracking is great, but it isn't the most comfortable mouse as it won't fit in your hand. Comfort is a big thing I consider when purchasing a mouse. I currently use the Logitech v470 Bluetooth mouse and find that it finds my hand quite well

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Well, normally I use a Logitech M215 USB mouse with my laptop, which I find very comfortable. In fact, I find it difficult to use a full-sized mouse nowadays. But I did see some YouTube videos about the Wedge and yes, it is indeed tiny. Plus, it is quite expensive, which is giving me reason to pause. But I think I will gts aesthetics seem to match that o the Surface with it anyways....it looks very cool though and, in many ways, I think - at least personally - its aesthetics seem to match that of the Surface. I'll get it and will put up a brief usage review.