What's new

Camera does not turn on during startup after update

evkatz

Since the big update a few days ago... When I startup, Surface Book announces it's turning the camera on (for facial log-in), but the camera won't turn on. So I either have to switch to PIN login. Or, I can "restart" from that screen, the next time the camera will turn on. Everything was working fine before last update. Anyone have any suggestions?

Niterider4

My camera would never turn on immediately after an update was installed, but then it would turn on after that if I rebooted. Since the big 2/17/2016 update, my camera comes on about 1/3 of the time when I reboot. If I enter my PIN and then restart, it will usually come on the next time, but the next time after that will be hit or miss.

BearFlag

This issue is actually pretty annoying. Windows hello was working fine previously.

I honestly don't understand how MS quality assurance testing works. I would have imagined that they would have at least 50 SBs on hand, testing every firmware release. Therefore some of those SBs should have experienced the same issue we are all having, and alerted them before they released this update.

Niterider4

Removing Windows Hello, restarting, and then setting it up again worked for me (although on the very first restart I had to tell Windows sign-in options to use the camera). After the first restart, Windows Hello seems to work as it is supposed to.

To remove Windows Hello, go to Settings, Accounts, Sign-in options, and under Windows Hello click Remove. Reboot and then go to the same place and click Set-up.

Edit: Thanks to tallshorty for this fix.

Last edited:

mtmowl

Thanks. I was afraid it was going to be a complicated process such as I found online, but it was a snap.
So far, so good.

UPDATE: After a few hours, it fails again. Remove/reboot/reset didn't last past the first hibernate. It seems they really did break it.

Last edited:

Adambomb13

Removing Windows Hello, restarting, and then setting it up again worked for me (although on the very first restart I had to tell Windows sign-in options to use the camera). After the first restart, Windows Hello seems to work as it is supposed to.

To remove Windows Hello, go to Settings, Accounts, Sign-in options, and under Windows Hello click Remove. Reboot and then go to the same place and click Set-up.

Edit: Thanks to tallshorty for this fix.

This worked for me Thank You :)

UPDATE 2/26 - Not fixed, first thing in the morning the camera issue turning on comes back, after a reset it works for the day, I have tried the hardware repair/change process in the control panel, still no go :(

Last edited: