What's new

Camera does not turn on during startup after update

Lori Keam

I seem to have found a fix that so far has been working for me.

Go to the control panel/System and Security/Find and Fix problems/Hardware and Sound/Configure a Device.

Then click Next and go through the process. Mine said it found a problem with a device, and fixed it, and then I rebooted. After that, the camera worked fine and is still working. Seems like it honed right in on what was keeping the camera from turning on and fixed it.

This did the trick! Many thanks for sharing.

bobcpa

So, after a few days of everything working perfectly, I am now experiencing the same issues.....I turn it on and the camera does not come on. I have to log in with my pin. I did notice something else. When this happens, if you look at the icons on the right side of the screen, the detach/undetached icon shows that the screen is detached (when, it obviously is not detached). So, I go through the process that another poster on this forum suggested, and that solves the problem as the camera comes on and automatically logs me in. And, if I look at the detach/undetached icon on the right side of the screen, the icon says that I am detached, which is exactly what I expect.

I HATE being a beta tester. Hopefully, Microsoft is reading this forum and is in the process of correcting this.....one step forward/two steps back

SurfaceBook160

Just wanted let people know that the above two solutions, Microsoft's one which I described above and the one submitted by Nonseven, are only temporary. After the hardware security issues are fixed, the original issue always seems to reappear the next day after a shut-down.

However I found that a more resilient fix is to disable Fast Start in power options. This should keep things working until MS permanently fix the current drivers/security issue:

1. Goto Settings and select "System"
  2. Select "Power & Sleep" then "Additional power settings"
  3. Select "Choose what the power buttons do", on the left
  4. Select "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
  5. Uncheck the "Turn on fast start-up (recommended)"

Last edited:

angelinaOO7

SAME here :( it's so frustrating! I also noticed after the update, the icon for screen detached/attached shows detached when its actually attached! I have found that restarting after the 3rd time fixes it temporarily. I'd love a more permanent fix!

SurfaceBook160

SAME here :( it's so frustrating! I also noticed after the update, the icon for screen detached/attached shows detached when its actually attached! I have found that restarting after the 3rd time fixes it temporarily. I'd love a more permanent fix!
Try switching off the Windows fast start-up. It works permanently to fix the issue, including the detached/attached icon issue, until MS send out an update.

AntonioG

Is it everyone's experience that the camera doesn't turn on after a cold boot? It is for me - any number of reboots - the camera works. Fully shutdown, and the camera will not turn on. Annoying indeed.

Niterider4

No, I had that problem, but I have since been able to get the camera to work on a cold boot.

Have you tried removing Windows Hello completely, cold booting, then setting up Windows Hello again from scratch?

Have you tried running the Windows Troubleshooter (control panel) for Hardware and Devices, Configuring a Device, and letting it fix any problems it finds?

After doing these two things, my camera is working as it should be.

mtmowl

Quote: "Try switching off the Windows fast start-up."

+1 on this. Since unchecking fast start-up, my camera has lit up every time, and I can unlock the SB by facial recognition again.

It's my understanding that fast start-up is only applicable to coming out of hibernation anyway. It has no effect on coming out of sleep.

Niterider4

Fast startup is basically the same as hibernate, and it only applies to a cold boot (not a restart). Fast startup saves an image of the Windows kernel to hiberfil.sys, so your system can simply load the file back into RAM when the computer starts up again.

Note that my Windows Hello is working normally and I HAVE NOT disabled fast startup.

mtmowl

Fast startup is basically the same as hibernate, and it only applies to a cold boot (not a restart). Fast startup saves an image of the Windows kernel to hiberfil.sys, so your system can simply load the file back into RAM when the computer starts up again.[\QUOTE]

That sounds like what I read, that FS is a way to speed up the waking up from hibernation, and unless one is using Hibernate as a power option, deselection FS has no deleterious effect. Since I wasn't using Hibernate, it was only beneficial to my situation. ymmv

ncameron

That sounds like what I read, that FS is a way to speed up the waking up from hibernation, and unless one is using Hibernate as a power option, deselection FS has no deleterious effect. Since I wasn't using Hibernate, it was only beneficial to my situation. ymmv

What he said was "Fast startup is basically the same as hibernate, and it only applies to a cold boot (not a restart"

Surely that means that it is irrelevant to a recovery from Hibernate, which is NOT a cold restart.

mtmowl

What he said was "Fast startup is basically the same as hibernate, and it only applies to a cold boot (not a restart"

Surely that means that it is irrelevant to a recovery from Hibernate, which is NOT a cold restart.
And that's exactly my point... That FS is doing nothing useful unless hibernating is used, and can be safely unchecked, thus alleviating some issues, which it seems to cause.