What's new

Camera does not turn on during startup after update

Niterider4

Fast startup does not apply to hibernate or restart - only to a cold startup. What fast startup does on a cold startup is similar to hibernate - the cold startup is faster because the computer saves the kernel to hiberfil.sys before it shuts down, thus making startup faster. But fast startup is not the same as hibernate, because it does not reload app windows.

If hibernate is disabled in settings, then fast startup does not do anything (because fast startup requires access to hiberfil.sys, which is only created when hibernate is enabled).

Niterider4

Tip: I know this stuff about hiberfil.sys because I was running into problems on another computer with disk space, and I discovered that turning off hibernate and deleting the hiberfil.sys file allowed me to save about 13Gb of disk space. Not bad if you're not using hibernate anyways.

bobcpa

So, I did what Surfacebook160 suggested and went into settings and unclicked the fast start up option. Everything was working great the last few days. This morning, I turned the Surface on as a cold boot......alas, the Hello camera did not come on. What's interesting though is that the detach/undetach icon is what it should be....it shows that the screen is attached......one step forward, 2 steps back

mtmowl

So, I did what Surfacebook160 suggested and went into settings and unclicked the fast start up option. Everything was working great the last few days. This morning, I turned the Surface on as a cold boot......alas, the Hello camera did not come on. What's interesting though is that the detach/undetach icon is what it should be....it shows that the screen is attached......one step forward, 2 steps back
Similarly for me. Everything was fine for a few days after unchecking fast start up, then trying to cold start up today, no Hello, and I had to manually unlock. I found yesterday's update, ran it, and, after some sluggish, wonky behavior, things have been fine once again. So far, so good.

The update notes say that a host of bugs were addressed, including Hibernate and other start issues. Let's hope.

Niterider4

I'm now having this problem again as well. Windows Hello does not come on as it should. The tablet does not auto rotate after being detached. The screen brightness often increases to 100% even though on the display settings it shows 50% or 75%.

After having things more or less okay for a few days, my Surface Book is back to not being able to execute basic functions. Very, very annoying.

mtmowl

My sympathy to you both. My SB starts with Hello even better than before, and will again autorotate after detaching. I guess there are multiple factors in play.

Hang in there.

Gadget

Mine is having this same issue. Pretty frustrating. My surface book was actually working fine prior to this update that killed Windows Hello randomly.

sphinx99

I also have this issue, even after trying the fixes in this thread. It does work fairly reliability after a reset (power/volume for 15 seconds) but when waking up from sleep it it's very hit or miss; sometimes works, sometimes doesn't and I cannot correlate it with any particular use case or behavior. I have noticed that it's more apt to not turn on if it's resuming from a more extended sleep (e.g. overnight vs. a 5 minute sleep) but that's a feeling I have, not a fact.

mtmowl

Yes, I still have the camera failure after most overnight extended sleeps. Strangely. it worked properly this morning. Also, the Airplane Mode button was not falsely lit, as it has been. Perhaps the "2-17 system hardware update" that went in yesterday had some positive effect?

Gadget

My camera never works anymore almost. I don't think I'll ever buy microsoft hardware again. It was working perfectly fine, then they break it for everyone and just don't care enough to fix it.

Niterider4

Try Control Panel, Troubleshooting, Hardware, and run the troubleshooter. Then reboot. That fixed most of my camera problems, although not a bunch of other problems (auto-rotate after detach, screen brightness).