What's new

Camera Megapixels?

D.T. Rose

Anyone know the megapixels on the cameras yet?

Considering Microsoft's recent explanation behind the screen's PPI and how it may compare to iPad's "retina" display, I would expect the megapixels on the cameras to be on the lower side. Now, of course, that never truly determines the quality of the feature. As my wife, a professional photographer, would suggest though--megapixels mean nothing, so to speak. ;)

Last edited:
OP
MHC48

MHC48

Certainly you (or your wife) are correct and I'm not a megapixel whore, but the paucity of information MS is disclosing concerns me. I know too often people and reviewers get hung up on specs vs. real life performance and need. MS may be trying to prevent people being turned off my media before seeing it themselves, but they are also risking a backlash in the first days that it comes out and all the magazines and blogs reveal information. You can be sure it will be treated as something MS tried to hide

D.T. Rose

Certainly you (or your wife) are correct and I'm not a megapixel whore, but the paucity of information MS is disclosing concerns me. I know too often people and reviewers get hung up on specs vs. real life performance and need. MS may be trying to prevent people being turned off my media before seeing it themselves, but they are also risking a backlash in the first days that it comes out and all the magazines and blogs reveal information. You can be sure it will be treated as something MS tried to hide

I sense you're right on the information front. For example, I suspect that a lot of information Microsoft may be withholding should indeed be concerning to some people. Now, of course, Microsoft is trying it's hardest to be like Apple in many ways, including secrecy. This may prove to be a strategy to their benefit, or perhaps reveal a more ominous reasoning; only time will tell. I really want to like the Surface, I want the Surface to succeed. I just think right now there are too many unanswered questions about everything. We can be certain of one thing, and that is, upon release, many things that Microsoft has claimed thus far will be revealed to be either true or deceptive. The 26th cannot get here quick enough.

J515OP

Super Moderator
It is definitely a double edged sword. If you over deliver you wow and if you under deliver you were hiding things. Apple if one of the few who can over deliver so other companies using the strategy usually get burned. MS should be very careful here.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
The quality of the pictures is really poor, but then again: Why taking pictures with a tablet? In my opinion, i could be banned completely, just leaving front face for videochat. One this point ms could have spend the saved pennies for a better one.

Last edited: