What's new

Camera?

Charlie

Is there a driver or program/app that will help the camera in the sp2 take a little better picture? For the money
we pay for these things you would think they would take a little better picture. I had an Asus Transformer Prime (androids) and
a ipad 4 and a Nexus 7 and they all took great pictures, why not this thing?

Thanks

Phil A

The surface pro 2 cameras are both low resolution (< 1MP: 1280 x 720, which is less than the screen resolution), so I don't think anything is going to get a decent picture out of it. The Surface 2 has much better cameras (3.5mp front, 5mp back) than the Surface Pro, for reasons known only to Microsoft!

Ruffles

I think I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've taken a picture with my Surface. In my opinion, as long as it's good enough for a skype video call, it's fine.

jollywombat

The surface pro 2 cameras are both low resolution (< 1MP: 1280 x 720, which is less than the screen resolution), so I don't think anything is going to get a decent picture out of it. The Surface 2 has much better cameras (3.5mp front, 5mp back) than the Surface Pro, for reasons known only to Microsoft!

Guessing they thought to keep those limited to the surface only version to push it more as a media consumption/social device so as to compete in market with Ipad/Droid tablets, where as the pro they push more as the professionals go to tablet. Its a pitty as I actually do use the cameras on the surface pro in a datacenter on occasion to show what is going on with hardware.

OP
Charlie

Charlie

Why the hell would you use a tablet to take a picture... use your phone or OMG... a real camera?
It's convenience or a spur of the moment thing, when you have it in your hand and you want to snap a
quick picture.
We have a new baby in the house and you don't have a lot of time to grab a camera
for those spur of the moment pictures.

Thanks Guy's, I guess I'll just have to deal with it.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Guessing they thought to keep those limited to the surface only version to push it more as a media consumption/social device so as to compete in market with Ipad/Droid tablets, where as the pro they push more as the professionals go to tablet. Its a pitty as I actually do use the cameras on the surface pro in a datacenter on occasion to show what is going on with hardware.

As I've said before, the Surface 2 is the Surface Team's Halo/Flagship Device which in their design offers the true Windows Experience. Look for it to get the better components first.

galenweaver

I'd love to be able to take a picture with the camera from Onenote. Any know how to do it? I often take pictures of whiteboards with my camera and upload them to onenote but would like to take a picture with my surface right to onenote.

DragonGamer

You mean the desktop version of OneNote? Or the app version? If the latter then you just need to tap once with your finger and chose the cam from the circle menu.