What's new

Can any power supply and cable be used for S3?

MrMrMr

Getting a surface 3 soon, coming from a surface 2 with its proprietary charging connection (which I like actually, prefer it over the plug in micro USB), can you use any charger and any micro USB cable?

I'm thinking could I use an iPad charger and a standard micro USB cable? Save carrying more charger than I need.

It's there specific voltage and current requirements for it, other than a normal USB wall charger?

What do others use please, all MS bought ones, or others for travel etc?

Also could you use a battery pack, external portable power battery that I keep for plane journeys etc for iPhone? It has a normal USB out on it to.

Thanks

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
It all sounded great in theory, given how many of us have spare cables and chargers lying around, but in reality it is hit and miss. I've only ever used the official charger, but many phone chargers etc may not work. It seems that the best bet is to use chargers designed for higher end tablets. The cable used can also be hit and miss.

You should find a good deal of information about this topic here: Surface 3 Charging

leeshor

I'm not sure there ever was a "universal" standard. Some phones are now running into similar issues, If you use a Nexus 6P charger on an HTC 10 phone it will burn it up even though the cable fits.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Standard USB is 5 Volts. You should use a charger that's capable of delivering at least 12 Watts (2.4Amp) to the port, below that can give unpredictable results. Use a good quality cable, some cables are not that.

Dual Port 24W (2.4A per port) chargers are a convenient solution because you can charge 2 devices with them at the same time.

Dual port Chargers: iClever* Anker*

Cables: Anker PowerLine or Gold Plated*

*Recommended, I have these and use them daily.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The thing which gets me, is the claim on the microsoft site of "You can also charge Surface 3 using any micro USB charger".

It is rather misleading given Greyfox's experience of certain chargers actually leading to battery not to charge, but rather, discharge.

OP
M

MrMrMr

Standard USB is 5 Volts. You should use a charger that's capable of delivering at least 12 Watts (2.4Amp) to the port, below that can give unpredictable results. Use a good quality cable, some cables are not that.

Dual Port 24W (2.4A per port) chargers are a convenient solution because you can charge 2 devices with them at the same time.

Dual port Chargers: iClever* Anker*

Cables: Anker PowerLine or Gold Plated*

*Recommended, I have these and use them daily.
Happy to go with your recommendations, heard Anker are decent, got a few before, lightning type. I'll look here on Amazon UK.

Think I may buy a dual charger then to, although my iPad charger in UK says 12W which I believe is 2.4A? Would this be ok? It's this one

8e175367fd197843124047e6392c562b.jpg

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Happy to go with your recommendations, heard Anker are decent, got a few before, lightning type. I'll look here on Amazon UK.

Think I may buy a dual charger then to, although my iPad charger in UK says 12W which I believe is 2.4A? Would this be ok? It's this one

8e175367fd197843124047e6392c562b.jpg
It should be although the only way to know for sure is to test it.
Install BatteryBar to monitor the charge/discharge rate.
it should charge continuously from a discharged state to fully charged either left alone or while using (charge rate will vary. If at any time it stops charging altogether or drops to a half amp and stays there, toss it.

OP
M

MrMrMr

It should be although the only way to know for sure is to test it.
Install BatteryBar to monitor the charge/discharge rate.
it should charge continuously from a discharged state to fully charged either left alone or while using (charge rate will vary. If at any time it stops charging altogether or drops to a half amp and stays there, toss it.
Is that an app? I haven't got the S3 yet, but will thanks good tip. I won't chuck it out though, use it for my iPad!!

OP
M

MrMrMr

Think I'll definitely order the cable though as looks decent, and always good to have a spare, is the official MS charger permanently attached to the cable, ie it doesn't have a USB port?

Can you confirm this is the cable and charger please, I'm in UK..

Anker 24W 2-Port USB Wall Charger and PowerIQ Technology for Apple iPhone 6 / 6 Plus, iPad Air 2 / mini 3, Samsung Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge, Nexus, HTC M9, Motorola, LG and More Anker 24W 2-Port USB Wall Charger and PowerIQ: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Anker PowerLine Micro USB Premium Cable (6ft) - The World's Fastest, Most Durable Charging Cable, with Kevlar Fiber and 10000+ Bend Lifespan for Samsung, Nexus, LG, Motorola, Android Smartphones and More (Red) Anker PowerLine Micro USB Premium Cable - The World's: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Thanks

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Think I'll definitely order the cable though as looks decent, and always good to have a spare, is the official MS charger permanently attached to the cable, ie it doesn't have a USB port?

Can you confirm this is the cable and charger please, I'm in UK..

Anker 24W 2-Port USB Wall Charger and PowerIQ Technology for Apple iPhone 6 / 6 Plus, iPad Air 2 / mini 3, Samsung Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge, Nexus, HTC M9, Motorola, LG and More Anker 24W 2-Port USB Wall Charger and PowerIQ: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Anker PowerLine Micro USB Premium Cable (6ft) - The World's Fastest, Most Durable Charging Cable, with Kevlar Fiber and 10000+ Bend Lifespan for Samsung, Nexus, LG, Motorola, Android Smartphones and More (Red) Anker PowerLine Micro USB Premium Cable - The World's: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Thanks
Yep looks good, and the MS charger has a std Type A USB port (read that, the most common variety) cable and charger do separate.

Sorry you blokes in the UK have such bulky power connectors ;)
We here in the US don't mind if you get a slight tingle now and then (or healthy electrical shock) it helps weed out the undesirables (like those who use toasters in the bathtub). :D

Last edited: