What's new

Can Anybody Confirm Better Stylus Precision After Feb Update?

reach

After the update I have calibrated my stylus and immediately after that I felt that it's perfect now.
After one reboot it was gone again and the old rubbish issue is back.
So there seems to be the technical possibility to have it perfect but it doesn't seem permanent.

Anybody saw a permanent improvement on his? If yes, did you have to calibrate it, or did it come straight away with the update?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to help. Tell me how to test the issue in the way that would be conclusive for you, reach.

OP
R

reach

I would like to help. Tell me how to test the issue in the way that would be conclusive for you, reach.

just point with the stylus anywhere on the screen and see where it actually appears. This is especially for the border and extreme border areas. Currently in the top left corner most SPs are around 5mm away from where is should be.

Seneleron

Mine was a few mm off when I got it, it is much improved after the update... at least improved enough that I no longer have to "guess" at the screen to click on something relatively small.

bluegrass

On the same topic. I don't like the marker the stylus puts on the screen when you get it close to the screen. Is there a way to turn off the marker. I think it would feel much better to be able to just point and touch rather then being thrown off by the marker it displays. Maybe we're talking about a similar thing in that the marker doesn't seem to be the place the point of my pen is heading for.

grumpy

On the same topic. I don't like the marker the stylus puts on the screen when you get it close to the screen. Is there a way to turn off the marker. I think it would feel much better to be able to just point and touch rather then being thrown off by the marker it displays. Maybe we're talking about a similar thing in that the marker doesn't seem to be the place the point of my pen is heading for.

But that marker represents where the Surface thinks the stylus is. When you tap with the stylus, the tap will be registered where that "marker" is, which is not necessarily where the tip of the stylus is. In a perfect world, that marker would consistently be beneath the point of the stylus, but alas, nothing is perfect.

GoodBytes

I don't know. The moment I did the 273 point calibration, the pen has been excellent for me. Because, it allowed me to have the tracking be perfect as I place my hand on the screen at different location. For example, click on the click with the pen. I am not holding the pen as if I am writhing in the middle of the page. This allows me to minimize the hand movement, resulting in a more comfortable writhing and system navigation experience.

Also, as the pen is being entirely tracked, and that we all hold the pen differently, the calibration needs to be done in any case.

tinycg

@GoodBytes I didnt think the 273 point callbration worked on the SP2s? I thought people had tried on release and it didnt work?

kozak79

Wacom said they were going to release an updated tablet pc feel driver "By end of year", that would have better calibration. I'm still waiting...

GoodBytes

@GoodBytes I didnt think the 273 point callbration worked on the SP2s? I thought people had tried on release and it didnt work?

Yea it does. I had to try a few threads to find one that works. I forgot the link that worked for me. I'll have to go try them again

Max91

Yea it does. I had to try a few threads to find one that works. I forgot the link that worked for me. I'll have to go try them again
Can you find the thread with the link again? I'm interested too: actually with normal calibration the precision is not very satisfying!