What's new

Can anyone do me a favor and test this out?

EMINENT

I know the i7 isn't going to be up to snuff on high bitrate HEVC 4k video because i've tried on a Toshiba Radius with the i7-6500u and it pegged the cpu.

Anyone got some spare time to try out a video from here: Demo Ultra-HD - LG 4K - View the Feeling using MPC HC and hardware acceleration from the dgpu and see if you can play it without stuttering?

I can't believe no one is making a 2 in 1 with non-U processors.

TimberWolf

Tried it, stutters on my machine. What I find interesting is that MPC only uses integrated graphics, as does VLC and WMP. There is no way to get any of those programs to use the dGPU! The option to prefer the nvidia chip is grayed out. Wow, this machine just gets better and better.

OP
EMINENT

EMINENT

Tried it, stutters on my machine. What I find interesting is that MPC only uses integrated graphics, as does VLC and WMP. There is no way to get any of those programs to use the dGPU! The option to prefer the nvidia chip is grayed out. Wow, this machine just gets better and better.

Have you downloaded the lav filters and selected copyback in setting of MPC?

Thanks for trying btw. It works on my SP4 if I select regular EVR under Output and under Internal Filters, click Video decoder and choose DXVA (copy-back) and check both boxes of HEVC and UHD.

I think it's using the dgpu at that time.

Weird because when I play the Sicily 4k or Venice 4k clip it doesn't play at all. But, it plays in WMP.

Why can't one player play it all?

Last edited:
OP
EMINENT

EMINENT

The reason I ask is I got the Radius as a desktop replacement to just act as a Plex server for a couple transcodes at a time. Should be ok with a Passmark of 4300 on the i7 6500u, but I took it back when I started having difficulties with playing those 4k videos.

Now I revisited these files on my SP4 today and they play differently in a mix of players on my SP4 so I may have to go get it back if it'll work in that workaround at least.. I was debating on that or the SBook, but if the Radius will do the videos, but in different players, the dgpu of the Sbook really is overkill as wouldn't be gaming or anything. Plex is all cpu as well as 4k mostly cpu.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@EMINENT

I just tested this with my i7/16/512 Surface Book.
Started playing, and heard a cutout on the audio after 10 seconds.
Closed, and re-opened immediately.
Flawless on this second try.

After finishing, I saw a notification from Windows about my backup SD drive that needed attention. This notice seems to have been the reason for the audio interruption first time. Plays perfectly every time.

Screenshot (18).png

Screenshot (19).png

Even taking this screenshot while playing did not interrupt the video.
Screenshot (20).png

OP
EMINENT

EMINENT

@EMINENT

I just tested this with my i7/16/512 Surface Book.
Started playing, and heard a cutout on the audio after 10 seconds.
Closed, and re-opened immediately.
Flawless on this second try.

After finishing, I saw a notification from Windows about my backup SD drive that needed attention. This notice seems to have been the reason for the audio interruption first time. Plays perfectly every time.

View attachment 7741

View attachment 7742

Even taking this screenshot while playing did not interrupt the video.
View attachment 7743

So, you're playing them in Edge. That's expected to work, but we can't go full screen in Edge which defeats the purpose of viewing UHD video. What about in a media player such as WMP, MPC, etc.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Played using MPC HC as posted above.

VLC and Windows Media Player and Movies app all play sound only.

Orlbuckeye

You can go into the Nvidia Control Panel and set Nvidia as the default graphics. I went there last night and set it back to integrated because when I detach the Clipboard and I have something open using the DGP I have to close the app before detaching.

Also referring to not using U processors for the 2 in 1 devices is because temperature in the moble form factor, battery life (energy).

bjanssen

Sharpcolorado, how are you getting to this to run smoothly? Mine is very jerky. It is definitely using the integrated graphics, because in the nvidia control panel that's what is assigned to it and it won't let me change it to the nvidia card. Would love to get mine to run smoothly as well. Thanks.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Sharpcolorado, how are you getting to this to run smoothly? Mine is very jerky. It is definitely using the integrated graphics, because in the nvidia control panel that's what is assigned to it and it won't let me change it to the nvidia card. Would love to get mine to run smoothly as well. Thanks.

Don't know. I made no adjustments to my system. WiFi, OneDrive, Logmein, still connected (you can see on screenshot). Changed volume and even took a screenshot (double-clicked pen) while playing. Video driver 12/17/2015 per Microsoft generic. Resolution 3000 x 2000, 150x zoom. On battery power, about 50% charged.

bjanssen

Strange. Mine is the i5, but I struggle to see it making that much difference. Anyone else willing to give this a shot? :)

bjanssen

So I forced it to use the nvidia card globally for every application and then ran it again. It was flawless (and stunning!). I set it back to auto select, and it still won't let me specifically set nvidia for just the MPC-HC application. Very annoying. :mad:

I suspect yours is somehow using the nvidia GPU sharpcolorado.