What's new

Can anyone explain the different chargers

inthesahel

I had a SP 3, it had a figure 8 charger(Where you could pull the cable out of the brick),
then I got a m3 SP4 and now it just plugs into the wall. I am getting ready to head overseas, can anyone confirm that the i5 and i7 has the figure 8 charger?

Thanks

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Not only do they have the Figure 8 cords, but ALL charger bricks are worldwide voltage-compatible. So a simple adapter, not converter, will suffice to plug into the wall (mains power).

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not only do they have the Figure 8 cords, but ALL charger bricks are worldwide voltage-compatible. So a simple adapter, not converter, will suffice to plug into the wall (mains power).
I meant to say that but my toast was burning ;)

OP
I

inthesahel

Thank you GreyFox and sharpuser for confirming that- do either of you know where I can get a brick for less than 70 bucks on Microsoft.com? Is there anywhere that I can get purchase the non US end and get the European end with the brick?

Thanks

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
No, on the new brick cost question. New bricks are expensive. Used bricks are cheap.

Figure-8 European cords are widely available: see here.

OP
I

inthesahel

Thank you- I found cords on ebay your link didn't seem to work.

The bricks, it seem there is a 65w and a 36w version that was used for SP3, which one should the SP4 M3 version use or will it make no difference. I think the current one is 24w so probably the 36w version?

OP
I

inthesahel

I finally found a picture of the SP4 brick and the SP3 brick, output voltage is different(12v versus 15v). Even the SP3 brick and SP4 m3 brick outputs are different. I will get an SP4 brick output is 15v.
Thanks for your help