What's new

Can I lock down a driver?

Danja91

The latest Microsoft video driver for the Surface breaks compatibility with a bunch of programs that I need for work. Both the original driver shipped with the Surface and the new one directly from Intel work just fine, but the Microsoft one crashes my programs. Unfortunately, my Surface keeps updating it automatically, even going to the extent of overwriting the Intel driver. This happens multiple times per day when all of a sudden my software crashes. It's pretty easy to fix; I just roll back the driver via device manager and everything works again but having to do it over and over again is driving me nuts. Is there a way to lock down this driver and prevent any updates while still permitting updates of other drivers and software?

Thanks!

TagsxA

I have this same issue, although currently it's just affecting BlueStacks. I don't use BlueStacks every day, but when I do, I have to roll back the video driver, just like you do. It'd be nice if there was a simple solution to this.

mitchellvii

The latest Microsoft video driver for the Surface breaks compatibility with a bunch of programs that I need for work. Both the original driver shipped with the Surface and the new one directly from Intel work just fine, but the Microsoft one crashes my programs. Unfortunately, my Surface keeps updating it automatically, even going to the extent of overwriting the Intel driver. This happens multiple times per day when all of a sudden my software crashes. It's pretty easy to fix; I just roll back the driver via device manager and everything works again but having to do it over and over again is driving me nuts. Is there a way to lock down this driver and prevent any updates while still permitting updates of other drivers and software?

Thanks!

Take its keys and tell it not to drink so much.

But seriously, just right click the update on the list and hide it.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

OP
D

Danja91

Take its keys and tell it not to drink so much.

But seriously, just right click the update on the list and hide it.

Sorry, could you be a little more specific in your instructions? Which list am I supposed to be looking at? What am I supposed to hide?

Thanks for your help!

mitchellvii

Sorry, could you be a little more specific in your instructions? Which list am I supposed to be looking at? What am I supposed to hide?

Thanks for your help!

Google Windows 8 uninstalling and hiding updates.

bertopl

roll back the driver. then when you see the video driver update in windows update, instead of checking it to install the update, right click it and choose hide. you shouldn't be pestered with it again. then if a newer video driver hits windows update, it should alert you of that.

OP
D

Danja91

roll back the driver. then when you see the video driver update in windows update, instead of checking it to install the update, right click it and choose hide. you shouldn't be pestered with it again. then if a newer video driver hits windows update, it should alert you of that.

Great, that's exactly what I wanted! Thank you very much!