What's new

Can not create a new notebook in OneNote after upgrading to Win 10

knightron

Hi everyone. OneNote deleted all my notes and won't let me create a new notebook after upgrading my SP3 to Windows 10.

953097049-screenshot-onenote_2.jpg

I don't care a bout all my notes, but I'd like to make new ones. Anyone know what's up with this message?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Are you using the same Microsoft Account that you had with Windows 8.1? Creating local notebooks only works with the desktop version of OneNote, the MUI requires that your notebooks be on your OneDrive.

OP
knightron

knightron

Hi Jnjroach. Thanks for responding. Is that how OneNote worked in Windows 8.1? I would just like to make notes again, if that requires they be on Onedrive then i am fine with that. How do i go about creating a notebook on Onedrive so i can resume taking notes?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Click on Hamburger menu and select the + by Notebooks, as long as your Microsoft Account is associated to your machine it should allow you to create a new notebook.

OP
knightron

knightron

That's what i did, i name the notebook and then it displays the message in the picture i included in the op.
Perhaps my Microsoft account isn't being associated?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like it... are you logging in with a local account or a Microsoft Account....

OP
knightron

knightron

I was under the presumption that my Microsoft account was synced with my local account.
I just went into account settings and there is an option, 'Sign in with a local account instead'. So i guess that means i've signed in with a Microsoft account.

OP
knightron

knightron

Hey everyone, i've got things working now. It's a very unorganised process in my opinion, but i got it done. I opened Explorer and went into Onedrive. In my Documents library there was a a notebook. I clicked it and it opened up in Edge. It accessed my data from the internet. I selected import, and most of my notes are again accessible.
I'm guessing i was asking a question so basic that it didn't even cross people's minds that this would be a problem... So with that in mind, if i wanted to create a new notebook, how would i do so? Would i have to do it in Edge?