What's new

Can Not Edit A Document In SharePoint 2010

Chip

I am using Surface RT
I am connecting to SharePoint 2010 Server

I can check out a document but when I try and edit I get the following error message
""The document could not be opened for editing. A Microsoft SharePoint Foundation compatible application could not be found to edit the document."

Any ideas?

Chip

Peter Wolbeek

same here

I am using Surface RT
I am connecting to SharePoint 2010 Server

I can check out a document but when I try and edit I get the following error message
""The document could not be opened for editing. A Microsoft SharePoint Foundation compatible application could not be found to edit the document."

Any ideas?

Chip

Hi,

I cannot help you but I have the same problem hope Microsoft will fix this soon. A lot of my work is in the cloud on SharePoint.

Regards,
Peter

OP
C

Chip

Well I found the answer, but no one will like it.
I pasted the text below.
Apparently the update for Office that came out yesterday is NOT the final version.
That means that today, you can NOT edit SharePoint documents.
Also, Microsoft is NOT saying if you ever will be able to edit them from Surface RT, only that "That we do not know - until the final release of Office RT, we are unaware of what features may or may not be supported as the list is constantly changing. We do not have a published list of changes at this time."

Tim M: Hello, thank you for contacting Surface Support. My name is Tim M. How can I help you today?
Chip Eckardt: I ran out of space so. I am using Windows RT, have installed latest Office Update
Chip Eckardt: I am connecting to SharePoint 2010 server
Chip Eckardt: The error message should be in first item I posted.
Tim M: Yes, I see the error message. The reason is that Office RT is not a full version of MS Office yet, it is still the Preview Edition, and as such not all features are active.
Chip Eckardt: but I installed the roughly 560 meg update last evening
Tim M: the final version of Office RT has not yet been released, it is still in preview or beta form. Updates are being released regularly to keep it up to date, but the final version has not gone live.
Tim M: One moment please while I research your question.
Tim M: At this time, it does not appear that Office RT will connect to Sharepoint documents correctly, this looks to be an issue with the Beta release which may be resolved when the product has been fully released. At this time, however, Sharepoint documents are not supported on Office RT.
Chip Eckardt: Will this be fixed shortly?
Chip Eckardt: I ask because if it does not work with SharePoint I will have to return my Surface--but I REALLY love it.
Tim M: That we do not know - until the final release of Office RT, we are unaware of what features may or may not be supported as the list is constantly changing. We do not have a published list of changes at this time.
info: Your chat transcript will be sent to

Peter Wolbeek

They do a good job in promoting the Surface and SharePoint. A native MS product that works on the Ipad but not on the Surface. :shocked:

OP
C

Chip

If you (and others) feel that the Surface RT needs to work with SharePoint could nicely contact Microsoft Support, any Microsoft people you know, and cross post this on other forums I think Microsoft might be more willing to address this issue, and address it quickly. Thanks for listening.

Chip

OP
C

Chip

FOUND A WORK AROUND!!

If you go into the desktop on Surface RT and run IE from the desktop you CAN EDIT SharePoint documents. For whatever reason Microsoft choose to no create the needed hooks into the Metro version if IE the desktop version works--clear as mud, I know. But there IS a WORK AROUND!!!

jnoel311

Can you explain this more? I am having the same problem I think - but I'm a bit computer illiterate so forgive my probable mistakes :( But...I am also trying to enter infointo PDF docs downloaded from sharePoint (2008 I think) I am already doing it from my desktop and with internet explorer. On occasion the documents don't transmit correctly (sometime the font is too small, some info shows up missing etc) Also I cannot edit the shared calendar I use there either. I have gotten several different answers from Microsoft Store and Answer Desk - including one stating I just can't do it - the Surface is not built to do that?? I really like my surface except for this problem - and I want to keep it but I have to get this fixed. I too wis there was someway to get this addressed co