What's new

Can preinstalled Win 8.1 64-bit be swapped for 32-bit version for free?

Pizzaman

Hello,

I will be getting Surface Pro 3 in a week with a 64-bit version of Windows pre-installed. My work software does not support 64-bit versions of Windows therefore I need to install a 32-bit version. I've heard of virtual machines that can run a 32-bit version inside of 64-bit Windows but since I have no experience with VMs, I'd rather do a clean install of 32-bit version of Win 8.1. Is there a way I can do that? Does Surface Pro 3 "license" give me this opportunity?

Thanks.

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

I have sold many hundreds of systems with 64-bit Windows and never have run into a problem with any software that had to have 32-bit Windows. TBH that just doesn't sound right.

ctitanic

Unfortunately there may not be drivers versions in 32 bit so you may run into lot of problems. Like others have said, I never have run into any problems using 32bit software in a 64bit OS.

Liam2349

You can't, but it should be fine - I've never encountered an issue running 32-bit software.

If your work software can't run on 64-bit Windows, your company needs to upgrade.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OP
P

Pizzaman

Thanks everybody.
This very specific ancient software uses it's own 32-bit drivers as prerequisite and they won't install on a 64-bit system, at least that's what I've been told.

Is Hyper-V included in SP3 version of Windows? Can I run 32-bit Windows with it and install these 32-bit drivers and software?

In worst case scenario, can I buy a 32-bit version of Win 8.1 and do a clean install?
With only 4 GB of RAM I don't see any major downsides to 32-bit Windows anyway.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was knighted????? Cool....:cool:

If there is a 32bit Program that won't install on a 64bit system it is most likely caused by InstallShield or Setup.exe that has a 16bit Installer Process, this can be fixed through a MSI repackager or even Visual Studio...
In addition you have been awarded the Order of the Surface Pro :D

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks everybody.
This very specific ancient software uses it's own 32-bit drivers as prerequisite and they won't install on a 64-bit system, at least that's what I've been told.

Is Hyper-V included in SP3 version of Windows? Can I run 32-bit Windows with it and install these 32-bit drivers and software?

In worst case scenario, can I buy a 32-bit version of Win 8.1 and do a clean install?
With only 4 GB of RAM I don't see any major downsides to 32-bit Windows anyway.
Peripherals that are able to run on Hyper-V tend to be limited to USB Pass-through Devices, is this a Software Title with a Virtual Driver? Or is this an actual piece of legacy hardware?