What's new

Can preinstalled Win 8.1 64-bit be swapped for 32-bit version for free?

Lobo

If there is a 32bit Program that won't install on a 64bit system it is most likely caused by InstallShield or Setup.exe that has a 16bit Installer Process, this can be fixed through a MSI repackager or even Visual Studio...

I'm having the same problems with old applications for cash registers that need the 16bit sub system, which is apparently missing on all 64bit Windows versions. Of course, some of those aren't updated any more, so it's not as simple as grabbing a new version from the manufacturer.

It'd be totally awesome if you could give me a hint on how to repackage those apps, maybe it's really because of the installer. Certainly worth a try, since I always need to carry around a 2nd old laptop with me in case I encounter older systems.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You would typically need InstallShield Admin Studio, or potentially the Application Compatibility Toolkit that is part of the Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK) and Visual Studio.

Basically you need to remove the 16bit Bootstrap Installer assuming its a 32bit Application. If it is a 16bit Application you're SOL for installation on a 64bit Machine.

graye

Thanks everybody.
This very specific ancient software uses it's own 32-bit drivers as prerequisite and they won't install on a 64-bit system, at least that's what I've been told.

Is Hyper-V included in SP3 version of Windows? Can I run 32-bit Windows with it and install these 32-bit drivers and software?

In worst case scenario, can I buy a 32-bit version of Win 8.1 and do a clean install?
With only 4 GB of RAM I don't see any major downsides to 32-bit Windows anyway.

So don't keep us in suspense.... tell us exactly what software you're trying to install. Perhaps we can be of more help, if we knew more about the specifics of your scenario.

Lobo

@jnjroach Thanks, I see that's something for a developer, don't think I could figure that out on my own. Is there an easy way to check if the installed program is 16 or 32bit?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
@jnjroach Thanks, I see that's something for a developer, don't think I could figure that out on my own. Is there an easy way to check if the installed program is 16 or 32bit?
The easiest way is get a 32bit machine to install it on and use the free tool Process Explorer (or if you watchful Task Manager) and when you install look for a 16bit instance of setup.exe and after the fact if the application is running under WoW (viewing either in Process Explorer or Task Manager)it is a 16bit application.

I'm not a developer either, I'm an advanced IT Pro by trade, I just did much poking and reading until I was able to remediate these types of things. Way back prior to consulting and training I was the senior in our Local Government IT Shop for Active Directory and Desktop deployments, we replaced a 3rd or our Desktop and Laptops a year, I also ran the project that put Laptops in all of the Police and Fire Vehicles. We had a ton of legacy software that I had to remediate, including a home grown application that cataloged all Hazard Materials stored in Buildings for the City and County that Fire, Hazmat and Code Enforcement used out in the Field, the developer was retired and 80 years old but the City and County paid him $50K/year for Maintenance, when he developed stage 4 cancer the city gave him an additional year for me to spend 3 weeks learning his code and configuration files so I could maintain it moving forward....

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Back to the OPs question: do we know, even if not recommended, if a 32 bit OS install would work? has anyone done it?

I'm sure there are plenty of enterprises out there with a piece of code they just can't do without. It seems as though it should work but seems and reality are two different animals.

My #1 rule: Never deploy anything you haven't tested.

Even with only 4gb ram the 64 bit OS opens up the address space for programs which is an advantage. So running the legacy programs in a vm or virtualizing them, running it on Citrix or Terminal er Remote Desktop Services would be the better way forward.

OP
P

Pizzaman

is this a Software Title with a Virtual Driver
Yes. So what are the chances these drivers will be able to install in Hyper-V environment or any other VM?

Still, the best solution in my mind would be to install 32-bit Win 8.1. Can it be done on Surface Pro 3?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes. So what are the chances these drivers will be able to install in Hyper-V environment or any other VM?

Still, the best solution in my mind would be to install 32-bit Win 8.1. Can it be done on Surface Pro 3?
That question would be better asked of your IT person assuming they tried it? If we knew what the software title was Google may shed some light on what other people have done with this software.

It would install if it only requires a 32bit OS, if there are other requirements it depends.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

I would need to know more about the software and how the virtual drivers interact with the Hardware Abstraction Layer. I would try first. As far as 32bit install, you need to verify that 32bit drivers are available for all of the devices (The Marvell WLAN will be the most difficult to locate).