What's new

Can someone please confirm with VS2013?

goodintentions

Can someone please confirm that the i3 or i5 model can run visual studio 2013 with ease? I'm still drooling for an sp3, but I can't afford an i7 model :(

ctitanic

I have seen many users using VS2013 in i5. But expect problems with Connected Standby and Hyper-V.

Dozer12JK

I do have the i7 model but a i5 can easily run VS2013.
Anyhow compiling a big project will not work will on a mobile processor at all.

I'm working with projects that compile 1.5h on a 12 Core with 24Gb of RAM.
This would take days to compile.

So if you stay in small limits like only a Modern UI App will be fine on a i5.
If you want to go big. Do not think about a mobile processor.

OP
G

goodintentions

I use vs2013 strictly for modern UI apps. It's where I make most of the supplements for my regular income.

What about i3? Can the i3 model run vs2013 used for modern UI app dev?

I would sell my boyfriend for an i7 model right now, but considering I've got 2 house payments...

toaf

runs good on my SP2 512/8. i would think it runs fine on newer. i have not done crAzY compiling. im a noob in the programing stuff. but i do like to make things for my phone and surface. knowing half the batle....go joe

Antitoon

Consider that the i3 version only has 64GB storage, and that Visual Studio takes several GB of disk space. You might be ok, but will be tight with space. If you could wait a bit more and save up for the i5-128GB you would probably be better off.

kodos

Both the SP2, and SP3 i5 work well for Visual Studio 2013. VS 2013 uses a lot of disk space - so I'd get more than the 64GB in the i3. At least 128GB.

GoodBytes

I run over 5 instances of Visual Studio 2013 on my Surface Pro 2 (i5 U4300) with 8GB of RAM.
No issues, runs similarly as on my desktop (Core i7 930 2.9GHz, 6GB of RAM triple channel, GeForce GTX 260. Win8.1 Pro 64-bit) . The Surface Pro line are a beast.

I need to try one day Visual Studio 14 CTP (that means beta).
It is supposed to be more high DPI friendly, where now the icons won't be blurry anymore, among of course, many other improvements.
If you want to read more on what is new/changed: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2967191

Of course, as Microsoft mentions, it is not designed for production work, as it is beta, and can lead to strange behaviors from the IDE side or compiled project. Microsoft recommend installing it under a VM, to not affect the currently install (if any) Visual Studio version.

Last edited:

MartyB

I run VS2013 on my SP3 i3. I haven't had an issue. I will note that I have the hypervisor turned off: I only turn it on when I really need to. And yes, it does take up disk space. There's enough of it, though, even with the 64GB model. You just need to do good housecleaning, and make sure you have an sdxc to offload some things to.

OP
G

goodintentions

I run VS2013 on my SP3 i3. I haven't had an issue. I will note that I have the hypervisor turned off: I only turn it on when I really need to. And yes, it does take up disk space. There's enough of it, though, even with the 64GB model. You just need to do good housecleaning, and make sure you have an sdxc to offload some things to.
That's what I'm thinking, with the sdxc. I'll just have a 128 in there.

My current laptop that I use to work on my app modern word is falling apart. The keys are half frozen.

unruledboy

some of my friends run visual studio 2013 in surface pro 1 / 2 /3 (i5/i7 both), no issue.

and the battery still lasts a long time, no problem, mate.