What's new

Can someone test Minecraft and report on heat?

Pew446

Hi guys. I have my Surface Pro 3 and I love it. Recently though, I have been trying out gaming, and the first game I tried was Minecraft. Within 30 seconds, the back of the device (around the center right) got pretty hot and the fan came on loud enough that I could hear it with music playing. I could definitely feel it.

Can someone please test Minecraft, maximized (not full screen) on their Surface Pro 3 with the default settings? Just run around for a minute or so and let me know if your device gets hot and the fan revs up very much. I'm not sure whether or not to replace the tablet or if I'm just paranoid. Thanks!!

(Other than this, I love the tablet. It works so well and is very useful.)

ctitanic

I have noticed the same situation with Microsoft Sudoku. To me it's a case of pour code.

Screenshot (25).png

OP
P

Pew446

I just ran the game while using HWMonitor to see temperatures. My CPU and GPU are getting to 70°C!! The back of the device is very hot.

OP
P

Pew446

I contacted Microsoft. They had me reset the tablet, which did nothing, and said it must be a serious hardware error. They advised me to replace it at Staples (where I bought it.) I will be doing this. (It has gotten to 79°C now.)

Geneo

My MB pro's core temp goes to 145F whenever I try to run Minecraft! When they say it's the "PC" version, they're not kidding. Any laptop need not apply. They've taken it way beyond what it was originally planned and programmed for. Full size tower PC's with adequate cooling only.

I'm really sorry, but I'm not about to subject my new sp3 to that to that program (as much as I'd like to play it too). I know better.
Personally, I'm waiting for the One version coming out next month.

tuchas

I contacted Microsoft. They had me reset the tablet, which did nothing, and said it must be a serious hardware error. They advised me to replace it at Staples (where I bought it.) I will be doing this. (It has gotten to 79°C now.)

You know, replacing the darned unit is Microsoft's answer for everything. I had the same experience with the SP1 and SP2. Frankly it's drivers, software, or firmware. I am tired of them telling me to drive an hour to a retail store and replace the unit. If you do this, don't be surprised if you run into the same issues with the new Surface.

OP
P

Pew446

My MB pro's core temp goes to 145F whenever I try to run Minecraft! When they say it's the "PC" version, they're not kidding. Any laptop need not apply. They've taken it way beyond what it was originally planned and programmed for. Full size tower PC's with adequate cooling only.

I'm really sorry, but I'm not about to subject my new sp3 to that to that program (as much as I'd like to play it too). I know better.
Personally, I'm waiting for the One version coming out next month.
That's alright, I completely understand. I completely agree that Mojang went way over the top with Minecraft. There is way too much added to it without thought. Apparently 145F is what others are getting too, but mine was getting upwards of 175F.

Edit: Just realized you meant your MacBook was getting to 145. Either way, that's what the SP3s are averaging. Still miles better than what I've got. (And acceptable for me. I just don't want something to get badly damaged by heat.)

Last edited:
OP
P

Pew446

You know, replacing the darned unit is Microsoft's answer for everything. I had the same experience with the SP1 and SP2. Frankly it's drivers, software, or firmware. I am tired of them telling me to drive an hour to a retail store and replace the unit. If you do this, don't be surprised if you run into the same issues with the new Surface.

You're probably right, but whatever, I ought to try. Maybe I'll get lucky. I'll let you know what the results are. I'm exchanging it today.

daniielrp

My SP2 gets to around 72 degrees C when playing Minecraft for a couple of hours - I don't see this as a problem though, of course gaming on something with poor ventilation is going to result in high heat.

Also, I have a pro device, frankly if I'm now maxing out it's power then what's the point? Might as well buy a cheap laptop if I'm scared of it going beyond 40C

Feoen

I cannot safely run Minecraft on my SP3 even at all low settings. My fan, too, goes up to max and temps float around 75 and the FPS is still horrible.

Most other games I have tried have not given me issues. FEZ, Terraria, Aquaria, Banished, and Morrowind all run under 60 degrees with the fans on what sounds to be a "medium".

OP
P

Pew446

I just got it replaced. The lady at Staples opened the box to check that everything was in it, but she held it on its short end so when it was opened the tablet came crashing out. Oops. Luckily these things are built pretty freakin' solid, cause nothing happened. (Tile floor, too. Not that carpet they did the drop test on at the Keynote.) The tablet feels a lot cooler now. I can actually put my hand on the back and keep it there, (unlike last time, I could keep it there maybe 3 seconds before it was painful) and the fan doesn't rev up nearly as much. I almost can't hear it now! HWMonitor is reading 90°C now, so I have no idea what the crap. Maybe the temperature monitor is screwy? Whatever, it's not a frying pan now, so I can deal with a bad sensor.