What's new

Can Surface Pro 2 play Watch Dogs or Call of duty - Ghost?

cedric5555

May I ask if SP2 with 8gb ram can run this game? If not , I would just stay on 4GB ram and save $300.

Thanks for the technical advise.

Watch Dogs:
Ubisoft just updated the minimum requirement. It required 6GB ram.
Watch Dogs' revised PC system requirements are even more demanding than the last ones - Watch Dogs for PC News
MINIMUM
Supported OS: Windows Vista SP2 64bit, Windows 7 SP1 64bit, Windows 8 64bit
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66Ghz or AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.0Ghz
RAM: 6 GB
Video Card: 1024 VRAM DirectX 11 with Shader Model 5.0 (see supported list)
Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible Sound Card
This product supports 64-bit operating systems ONLY

Call of Duty -Ghost requirement
•CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.66 GHZ / AMD Phenom X3 8750 2.4 GHZ or better
•RAM: 6 GB RAM
•HDD: 50 GB HD space
•Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti / ATI Radeon HD 5870 or better
•Sound: DirectX Compatible Sound Card
•DirectX: 11

D

Deleted member 10837

All your posts have been about gaming in which the reality is no tablet or ultrabook comes near the performance of a gaming desktop for the same price. The focus from Ivy Bridge to Haswell was on battery life in mobile devices with ultra low power sub 15W TDP CPUs. The games will run but what is considered playable is different for every person. There are many videos of the Surface Pro and similar HD4000+ ultrabooks running various games from which you can get a general idea on how they play. Black Ops 2 for example get 40-20 FPS with low setting and 720p so on the Surface Pro 2 you can expect a 10% performance increase. Call of Duty Ghosts will have a higher requirement so the performance increase will be mitigated. I'm sure it will play other mid-range games similarly but I do not expect it to play future high end games such as Watch Dogs, Battlefield 4, The Division, TitanFall, etc. For $1300 of the Surface Pro 2, you can build yourself a desktop with 4670k, GTX 770 and 840 EVO that will play every game at ultra 1080p 60 FPS for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by a moderator:

demandarin

I've noticed, from 1st hand experience, the original pro has handled any type of game I've thrown at it. Whether or or new. Whether graphiccally intense or not. Its all abjout adjusting the settings.

I'd be willing to bet the new and likely old pro can push those games mentioned. Maybe not at the highest settings but probably 720p resolution with graphics settings on medium.

I've been playing games like The Darkness2, Outlast, Dead Island, Batman Arkham Asylum/origins(the one before newest one coming out), Kane and Lynch 2, Sniper 2, and so on on my pro just fine.

Yeah, this isn't a dedicated gaming machine but its more than capable of playing some great high quality games. Even new releases. The pro, as a bonus, has become my gaming system also.

oion

All your posts have been about gaming in which the reality is no tablet or ultrabook comes near the performance of a gaming desktop for the same price. The focus from Ivy Bridge to Haswell was on battery life in mobile devices with ultra low power sub 15W TDP CPUs. The games will run but what is considered playable is different for every person. There are many videos of the Surface Pro and similar HD4000+ ultrabooks running various games from which you can get a general idea on how they play. Black Ops 2 for example get 40-20 FPS with low setting and 720p so on the Surface Pro 2 you can expect a 10% performance increase. Call of Duty Ghosts will have a higher requirement so the performance increase will be mitigated. I'm sure it will play other mid-range games similarly but I do not expect it to play future high end games such as Watch Dogs, Battlefield 4, The Division, TitanFall, etc. For $1300 of the Surface Pro 2, you can build yourself a desktop with 4670k, GTX 770 and 840 EVO that will play every game at ultra 1080p 60 FPS for the foreseeable future.

Per bolded, I think this is the key observation about OP.

When you prioritize gaming as a use case, the Surface Pro 1/2 is capable but that's not what they're for, and the user (OP) will end up coming away with performance bias. It's a waste of technology, honestly. Most games aren't tablet/touch-friendly, either, and with the Pro we're talking about a wasted active stylus. Get an Alienware laptop or something. Buying a Surface Pro for gaming is like buying a high-end cell phone for photography.

TheJokker

Compared to a gaming desktop or laptop a Surface Pro gamer will have to make compromises with their graphic settings. I would expect the Sony Vaio 13 duo with an i7 and HD 5000 at close to $3000 to be the best all around gaming tablet. The Surface Pro 2 should be close at half the price.

D

dvdcatalyst

May I ask if SP2 with 8gb ram can run this game? If not , I would just stay on 4GB ram and save $300.

Call of Duty -Ghost requirement
•CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.66 GHZ / AMD Phenom X3 8750 2.4 GHZ or better
•RAM: 6 GB RAM
•HDD: 50 GB HD space
•Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti / ATI Radeon HD 5870 or better
•Sound: DirectX Compatible Sound Card
•DirectX: 11

You might want to consider the Razer Edge Pro,

Razer Edge Pro Gaming Tablet: The World's First Tablet Designed for PC Gamers - Razer United States

$150 difference if you go for the cheapest Surface Pro 2 with 8GB ram,1299 for SP2, $1449 for the Edge Pro.

Edge Pro Specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7
Memory: 8GB DDR3
Video: Intel HD4000 (DX11) + NVIDIA GT 640M LE (2GB)

shazada

What a cool tablet, this Razer Edge Pro. The only downside is that is uses the old gen Intel processors and not the haswell. It has the same standby time as the Surface Pro 1.

demandarin

in all honesty, this razor edge looks cool. but the minor performance increase in gaming doesn't warrant the extra cost. ive checked out the specs and the videos of it in action compared to surface pro 1. the razor edge still needs to use reduced graphics settings just like pro for some of the newer heavy duty graphic games. it isn't like the razor edge can push games the pro cant. even for my first generation. all games ive seen it playing were same ones ive seen the pro playing. of course the razor edge will pull a little better FPS. but is that worth the extra cost considering how bulky it looks? id still rather go with surface pro 1 or 2. because aside from the productivity angle, it also doubles as a decent gaming machine. im basing this off of my experience with pro gaming and the large amount of steam games I have installed on it and playing.

I agree the surface pro or 2 is no dedicated gaming machine by far. but as a nice bonus, its a very capable one. the simple fact that im able to run Crisis 2 at 720P resolution with graphics on high or ultra says a lot of what pro or HD4000 is capable of. I will admit, Crisis 2 is one of those games that likely pushes the pro gpu very hard. regardless it plays and looks great on my pro or big screen display. the pro has been able to handle any steam game ive thrown at it so far. whether the newest release or older game. of course im not saying itll run it at the highest setting. but it will run it high enough to make playing the game an enjoyable experience. only drawback is limited storage space on surface.

but surface 2 with more powerful HD4400 gpu and 8gb of ram will have games running even better than pro1. plus the bus bandwith has been doubled.

Dim-Ize

I played around with the Razer yesterday at Best Buy. There were two Razer's on display - the tablet and the gaming notebook.

If gaming were my priority - I'd opt for the gaming notebook. That thing is sweet - and very svelte.

In the end - I agree with demandarin's comments about the productivity. The Razer gaming tablet offers no significant gain in gaming performance over the SP2 with 8GB of RAM. Moreover, it lacks the priorities for me - the integrated Type Cover with touchpad/backlight, the pen, the docking station (superior in my opinion), and overall usage. Again, that's my specific taste.

I'm not slamming it - I just see it catering first to gaming and business as an afterthought - where the SP2 is business first with gaming supported. For my needs, that's the way to go.

oion

I agree the surface pro or 2 is no dedicated gaming machine by far. but as a nice bonus, its a very capable one.

I'm not slamming it - I just see it catering first to gaming and business as an afterthought - where the SP2 is business first with gaming supported. For my needs, that's the way to go.

That's the crux of the problem for the OP, though. His post history is just about gaming (on Surface Pro), so only one of two scenarios is true: Either OP's use case genuinely has productivity higher on the priority list than gaming and he's only asking about the "bonus," or OP is really that clueless about what the Surface Pro and tablets in general are for and is pining after one because he thinks it looks cool or something. In every single thread he started about gaming, he never returned for any serious discussion. I'm inclined to think OP's scenario is the latter...