Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I return it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, because it cannot replace a laptop

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Carlore

Hi to everyone,
I am very interested in the new Surface 4 pro, but I have some doubt about it.
First of all, and probabibly the most important question, can the surface replace an ultrabook? What loses, what earns more?
My question is due to the fact that I am an university students (engineering) and I need a computer that is ductile, but I also need a computer that can replace, without any difficolties, any normal laptop, because I will use it half at home, so I need a computer that is confortable on the desk, and half at university, so a computer that is easy to have in hands and in the bag.
Could you share your impressions and opinions about my question?

Sorry for my english, and thanks.

wynand32

The only use case where the Surface Pro 4 can be uncomfortable, in my opinion, is sitting in one's lap. On a desk is fine, and carrying as a tablet is fine. Balancing on the legs or such can be more of a challenge than a traditional notebook. That said, I've never found the SP4 to be patently unusable in any circumstances, and can't imagine replacing it with another machine and giving up the flexibility it provides in general.

Zkyevolved

I think it can without any doubt. I don't have any problems balancing it on my lap. In fact, sometimes I am laying on the couch, fold one leg over the other, and put the hinge / stand over the leg and it acts as a hook for it! Haha.

I think the SP4 is a great device :) You'll enjoy it! I got the i5/8gb/256, and I have enough room for my day to day, plus an SD card for the junk, and then 8gb of ram gives a lot of room for multitasking.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It is an Ultrabook in Tablet Form, I haven't owned a laptop since the Surface line came out...as an engineering student get one with at least 8GB RAM or better yet if you can afford it get the 16GB model.

Afy

It does replace the ultrabook quite easily. It can do anything a typical Ultrabook can do, with a fair amount of flexibility. Best of all the pen allows for very easy note taking, and can replace the traditional paper notebook as well.

Philtastic

The Surface Pro 4 has exactly the same hardware that you would find in a decent ultrabook and the screen is superior to most ultrabooks. Given the stylus and extra portability, I would argue that not only can the SP4 replace an ultrabook but it is superior to it in every way (I have no problems with it on my lap).

OP
C

Carlore

Thanks for your opinions, now I am convinced and I will purchase the Surface pro 4 256gb. I hope it will beatiful.
How is it microsoft assistance/warranty?
For exampe: if I had a problem, they will change the computer or they will try to fix it?

Philtastic

Thanks for your opinions, now I am convinced and I will purchase the Surface pro 4 256gb. I hope it will beatiful.
How is it microsoft assistance/warranty?
For exampe: if I had a problem, they will change the computer or they will try to fix it?
I got my SP4 Core i5 256 GB at launch from an online MS Store order and, after 1 week, my keyboard port died. I took it to an MS Store, and they replaced it after some troubleshooting to see if it really was a hardware issue. This was without any additional warranty. If you think you'll need more extensive coverage, there's the Microsoft Complete warranty that you can buy that covers accidental damage.

dstrauss

Personally, I think it is better than an ultrabook, and can stand toe to toe with the likes of the MacBook Pro 13. 6th generation Skylake; 16gb ram; 512gb ssd; greater than Retina screen resolution; touch screen; pen; 2.4 lbs with keyboard. Only the two Thunderbolt ports trump the the SP4. In all other ways, it matches or exceeds the MBP 13. I think MS is selling it short comparing it only to the MBA.

OP
C

Carlore

dstrauss

For me, I cover the metal with a skin (Skinomi - I know, that's a bit cutesy, but they make good tech skins) and rely on the keyboard cover. When on the go, it sits in my briefcase or a pocket of a folio for more protection. Just never warmed up to slip cases or special covers just for the device.