What's new

Can the i5 SP3 power a 4K monitor?

kiwigirl

Just curious. Hoping to do it without the dock. I picked up an unreal deal on a 40" Philips 4K for $699CDN and wont open it unless the SP3 can power it. I have the i5 model.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Just curious. Hoping to do it without the dock. I picked up an unreal deal on a 40" Philips 4K for $699CDN and wont open it unless the SP3 can power it. I have the i5 model.
Yes, at 30Hz as the Haswell GPU can handle 4K at 30Hz. Technically it can actually support up to 50Hz but very few 4K monitors support the customer refresh rate.

ChiGGz

Sounds like you also got this monitor at Best Buy :)

I've been able to get the SP3 i7 to do 4k @ 50 hz. This requires you to install the intel graphics control panel and create a custom resolution. Be sure to select CVT-RB otherwise you won't get >30hz

OP
K

kiwigirl

Chiggz,

Yes I got 50hz working too, need to use the Intel control panel.

Wow is the text ever so much sharper with DP1.2 and not HDMI - MiniDP adaptor.

I didnt think it would be any different but with HDMI, the chrome text was a bit fuzzy. But with the 1.2DP, its night and day different. WOW.

The 50hz also makes all the difference. At 30hz, the mouse was not smooth and was annoying.

ANd yes got mine from Best Buy, amazing deal for a great 4K monitor. Wow

ChiGGz

Yup looks gorgeous. We both got in on the same deal.

BTW, why did you think the DP on the dock would be any different than the internal mDP?

OP
K

kiwigirl

Not sure. I thought perhaps the dock put out a better signal than the Mini DP on the SP3 itself.

I dont have the dock anyways cause I want to keep the wires and clutter down on the desk.

Its nice that this monitor has 3 USB 3.0 ports.

I still cant believe how much of a difference it made going from the HDMI to MiniDP adaptor vs straight DP to MiniDP1.2 and the 30 vs 50hz. This monitor is unuseable in 30hz.

I wonder if its possible to get this running at 60hz.