What's new

Can tweeting a page ever be as easy as on an iphone???

Dakir

I recently got a surface rt and there are things I do like, there are things I can't stand. Those are:

1. no 3rd party VPN. Any suggestions??? Say I am on wifi and I want to be secure-ish.

2. Horrible apps. I mean awful. Hideous apps. Own an iphone and you will see.

3. Finally my biggest pet peeve and maybe someone can answer. Is there a way, a browser, an app - anything, to make tweeting a page easy? On my iphone I click this box with an arrow and I have the option to tweet link, bookmark, etc. I don't see anything close on my surface RT.

I really want to like it, it's just has a learning curve that I am not used to coming from an iphone. Sorry to sound like a fan boy, but apple just gets it right. Or maybe Microsoft did too and that's why I am asking. : )

p.s. - sorry if this is the dumbest question ever.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I recently got a surface rt and there are things I do like, there are things I can't stand. Those are:

1. no 3rd party VPN. Any suggestions??? Say I am on wifi and I want to be secure-ish.

Windows RT/8.1 supports 3rd Party VPNs such Juniper, Sonic Wall and depending on the configuration Cisco

2. Horrible apps. I mean awful. Hideous apps. Own an iphone and you will see.

Some are, others are good but RT has a real browser that nullifies the need for most Apps

3. Finally my biggest pet peeve and maybe someone can answer. Is there a way, a browser, an app - anything, to make tweeting a page easy? On my iphone I click this box with an arrow and I have the option to tweet link, bookmark, etc. I don't see anything close on my surface RT.

Swipe from the right to expose the Charms Menu, select Share and if you have Twitter App installed you can Tweet to your hearts delight...

I really want to like it, it's just has a learning curve that I am not used to coming from an iphone. Sorry to sound like a fan boy, but apple just gets it right. Or maybe Microsoft did too and that's why I am asking. : )

RT is the most productive Tablet on the market and can do so much more than Android or iPad...

Last edited:

kundas1

I luv how peoples first post on here is to bash on the Surface...where do they come from? lol

CrippsCorner

Well, think about it. Most people that find this forum are probably looking for a solution to a problem! Hopefully some continue to stay on and learn more about the machine and contribute :)

bluegrass

I'm sure part of it is also that Apple dumbs down stuff so much that if your happy with the dumb down way of doing things, & you come to a new device that gives you so many options and ways to do things, you need to really use your brain. I think most people that use Apple products don't care to have to use their brain to figure out how to do stuff. Sorry, this didn't help answer your questions, but I think jnjroach did a pretty good job. Open your mind, stick with it for awhile and learn both here and other places and I think it will grow on you. There will always be some pluses and minuses with whatever platform you choose to use. I've always liked challenges and have stuck it out with Windows since Windows 1.0.

kundas1

Well, think about it. Most people that find this forum are probably looking for a solution to a problem! Hopefully some continue to stay on and learn more about the machine and contribute :)

ummm nooo, I disagree if they just wanted help then why not just ask for help with their particular problem, why bring up the fact that you own an (cr)apple product and start bashing the Surface and say how apple is more "better" or "just works" which is far from the truth, to me that just screams fanboy or dare I say professional product bashers who go around trying to discourage people from buying Surface products in this instance.

bluegrass I agree with ya completely...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
He swung by here to drop his load of #@%* and left....I don't think he was actually trying to find answers... :|

OP
D

Dakir

Thank you Kayzee, exactly. One decent person is here.

As for the others...Yes I bashed it because it deserves bashing. A good product isn't dumbed down, it works intuitively. The charm menu stinks. Why should I swipe anything when, back to the iPad... I can just tap a button and it tweets it? The problem ultimately is windows 8 so I can adjust I suppose. Microsoft is in a tough position because if they copy Apply than they well, have copied Apple. What they are doing now though is being different for no reason, complicating simple tasks for no reason and being same old stubborn Microsoft.

To jnjroach - F... In a Christian way of course. Figure it out.

As for the one person who gave a legit answer. The vpn options stink. Sorry, yes it may support some - but no apps? Yes back to the apps. Most of the apps I like on my iPhone aren't on the Surface, popular sites and programs? Why is that? Someone said it was the best selling tablet, etc than why is nobody developing decent apps??? Why so many 2 and 3 star reviews??? Why no Pandora??? How popular is Pandora??? Sure it has iHeart radio and TuneIn, but my stuff is on Pandora. An app would be nice.

It has a USB port and yet I can't plug in my USB modem and use it??? Why? It won't let me install the software. Sorry, lame. They put a USB port on it. Great! Then they cut it's nuts off. That sums up the entire tablet. It has some great and cool features, but Microsoft cut it's nuts off. They hobbled it. They put chains around it's legs so it couldn't run.

I didn't come here for a fight, I am just being objective and logical. Look - it's not a bad tablet, but is it as good as it could be? No way. Right now it's biggest selling point is it's much cheaper than an iPad. That's not a good strategy for a product and that only happened because the market forced them into it, Microsoft at first had the nerve to price the Surface in another league when it wasn't.

OP
D

Dakir

I didn't say it, but thanks for the answers. I will try the charm share thing. Of course I can't right now because I am not on my Surface. No I don't feel like setting up my portable wifi and dealing with the possible health effects of that to surf the web so I am using my USB modem on my laptop because again, Microsoft won't let me install the software needed to make it work. So here my lovely, better than an iPad Surface sits collecting dust.

I did play solitaire on it last night. It's very good at that. Not much else works offline. I guess I could have written a word document. At least until my free Office expires and then I would have to pay $9.99 a month.

And yes I know the iPad has no USB. I never said that wasn't lame as well!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't say it, but thanks for the answers. I will try the charm share thing. Of course I can't right now because I am not on my Surface. No I don't feel like setting up my portable wifi and dealing with the possible health effects of that to surf the web so I am using my USB modem on my laptop because again, Microsoft won't let me install the software needed to make it work. So here my lovely, better than an iPad Surface sits collecting dust.

I did play solitaire on it last night. It's very good at that. Not much else works offline. I guess I could have written a word document. At least until my free Office expires and then I would have to pay $9.99 a month.

And yes I know the iPad has no USB. I never said that wasn't lame as well!

Afraid of WiFi? ok....

If you have a Surface RT or Surface 2 Office is included and doesn't cost you a dime more....