What's new

Can we change the nibs on the Surface Pen?

bjornb

Ok, I am officially now completely confused.

I got the impression from some folks in here that the Wacom Felt Nibs work with the Surface Pro Pen. I just received some and they don't. They are about 1/8 inch longer and a VERY tight squeeze to get in place. When I try to write with it the pen actually starts writing about 1/2 an inch above the screen - obviously not ideal. Seems that something is getting pushed the wrong way inside and causing an issue.

Any ideas on how to make these work?

According to this post there are two types of wacom nibs, the old/traditional ones which is slightly thicker, and the new ones in Bamboo Feel which is compatible with the surface pro:
TabletPC Compatible Wacom Pens (Work with Surface Pro) - Page 2

drksilenc

According to this post there are two types of wacom nibs, the old/traditional ones which is slightly thicker, and the new ones in Bamboo Feel which is compatible with the surface pro:
TabletPC Compatible Wacom Pens (Work with Surface Pro) - Page 2

yes only the tips for the feel series work properly. What the issue is if the length is different the pen needs recalibrated. I am specifically using the bamboo feel carbon stylus. Just got in in today as a matter of fact. It is MUCH nicer than the stock one but also alot more expensive.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

yes only the tips for the feel series work properly. What the issue is if the length is different the pen needs recalibrated. I am specifically using the bamboo feel carbon stylus. Just got in in today as a matter of fact. It is MUCH nicer than the stock one but also alot more expensive.

When you say it is much nicer than the stock one you mean the stock Surface Pen or the black Bamboo Feel?

Tom T

Ok, so I never heard of the word "nib" until I read this post. I guess it was worth getting out of bed this morning after all.

The more things change the more they stay the same. Fountain pen's use a Nib to hold or channel ink to the media. Kind of a new term, couldn't be more than a 100 years old or so ;-)

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Weird thing is that if you call Wacom they will tell you that their Bamboo Feel does NOT support the Surface Pro despite many folks saying it works just fine. My guess is this is some legal BS from MS forcing them to say this even though it isn't true.

Fine MS, if you want to block anyone else from selling us replacement pens go ahead but at least provide us some alternatives yourselves. Its like the one size fits all kickstand. MS says this is what you will use and you'll like it. No options. Then they wonder why their product isn't selling.

tonyz3

Weird thing is that if you call Wacom they will tell you that their Bamboo Feel does NOT support the Surface Pro despite many folks saying it works just fine. My guess is this is some legal BS from MS forcing them to say this even though it isn't true.

Fine MS, if you want to block anyone else from selling us replacement pens go ahead but at least provide us some alternatives yourselves. Its like the one size fits all kickstand. MS says this is what you will use and you'll like it. No options. Then they wonder why their product isn't selling.
I like you really love using the digital pens...love it.. but still I have not found the perfect one yet either.- MS should offer a more high end pen- a choice of the current one or a little more expensive in carbon same size, replaceable tips. I am not too hung up on the docking this in the tablet as I feel it would take away from the size etc. probably more options with the better chip tech coming. But the trade off for now is being careful with it...... Now I don't think MS can tell Wacom to say it is not supported. It would be keeping them from selling it to a certain market- doesn't make sense. Now WHY Wacom is not listing surface as a tablet it supports is another question.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I like you really love using the digital pens...love it.. but still I have not found the perfect one yet either.- MS should offer a more high end pen- a choice of the current one or a little more expensive in carbon same size, replaceable tips. I am not too hung up on the docking this in the tablet as I feel it would take away from the size etc. probably more options with the better chip tech coming. But the trade off for now is being careful with it...... Now I don't think MS can tell Wacom to say it is not supported. It would be keeping them from selling it to a certain market- doesn't make sense. Now WHY Wacom is not listing surface as a tablet it supports is another question.

Funny thing is that I don't really use the pen that much. 90% of the time when I am on the phone with a client I type (because I type a hell of a lot faster and more legibly than I write), but there are those moments when I need a pen and it is worth it to me to pay a premium to have it. As far as attaching the pen I just got one of those aftermarket stick on pen loops and it works just fine.

Amazon.com: Leuchtturm1917 Self Adhesive Pen Loop Notebook Accessory: Office Products
21WA--NMchL.jpg

I may buy the Wacom Bamboo Feel simply because I like the feeling of quality. The SP pen works fine I suppose and it is light. It is just the fact it feels so damned cheap that annoys me.

drksilenc

o yea i was saying the bamboo feel carbon is much better. it is a good 1/4 inch rounder like the size of a good pen unlike the stock which is the size of a pencil.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

o yea i was saying the bamboo feel carbon is much better. it is a good 1/4 inch rounder like the size of a good pen unlike the stock which is the size of a pencil.

They say the Carbon is actually the heaviest of all the pens. I may just go with the black. Cheaper and lighter. Although the white would match my car better.

7iCZddqVchGyxkmnjiSUpiR7XCM.jpg

magicrobots

I see that Wacom has a wide selection of pen nibs for sale. One is the "felt" nib which I would love to try. Can we replace the hard plastic nib on our Surface pen?

Amazon.com: Intuos 4 Hard Felt Nibs 5 pk: Computers & Accessories
View attachment 588

P.S., I honestly wonder why MS defaulted to the hard plastic nibs as that seems to be the most slippery on glass?

I just received these exact nibs, and they do not fit. They are close. You can jam them in there, but then there is no pressure sensitivity and the depth calibration is completely off.

They feel pretty cool; but I can see why you need five of them, they are soft, and don't retain their shape -- I can imagine that pretty quickly even if they worked properly they would deteriorate.

Has anybody tried a replacement nib in the stock pen that actually works?

EDIT:
Just saw OP's post a page back; sorry for the redundancy - but it seems the question remains: has anybody found something that works?

Last edited: