What's new

Can we talk about battery life? Microsoft says "up to 9 hours"

clouds5

I generally get 6-7.5 hours of light use. I can push it up to maybe 8-8.5 if I turn battery saver mode on. This is assuming that the device is working normally, such as now after the latest updates. If Microsoft breaks something in an update, such as CPU clockspeed, I've gone down as low as 4-5 hours of battery life... or zero if it automatically wakes up in my bag and stays on.

I have mine since 2 weeks, and this is about the same I see. I had a Note 10.1 2014 before, so that's what I'm comparing the Surface to. If I use it the same way as the Note the battery life is about 8h, which is great (consists of browsing, reading, writing stuff, taking notes, watching videos). But then you can use the surface as a full computer, having 5 things open at the same time, recording audio and adding effects to it, gaming, having external stuff attached etcetc. And then battery life obviously takes a hit, which is to be expected.
Anyway I feel like I'm getting what I paid for.

coolowl

I had mine plugged in all night and just unplugged it before coming here. The battery indicator reads:
4 hours 15 minutes (100%) remaining. We'll see.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had mine plugged in all night and just unplugged it before coming here. The battery indicator reads:
4 hours 15 minutes (100%) remaining. We'll see.
The Battery Indicator is like a weather vane, changes with the wind and varies widely. one moment it may say 4 hours the next 6, it all depends on what you did most recently, like within a few seconds. As a predictor of battery runtime its not useful.