What's new

Can you dual boot the surface pro?

J515OP

Super Moderator
You can dual boot Surface Pro. It is just like any other Windows machine because it is a full PC. It looks like BackTrack5 isn't directly supported with Windows 8 (just XP/Vista/7) but it can be run with some tweaks or virtualization.

curney

I would like to dual boot into windows seven. For my companies program it does not work in Windows 8. If I dual boot into Windows 7 will there be an issue with drivers and the stylus?

RonNitro

Gents - Now you have me curious. I'm going to try this on a spare Surface Pro tomorrow. Will post results. :)

marcux

Click on the charms, go to PC Settings, Go to General, then scroll all the way down to advanced startup and click > Restart now, it will come up with a boot menu where you can boot from USB, good for installing other os's ;)

JohnF

I would like to dual boot into windows seven. For my companies program it does not work in Windows 8. If I dual boot into Windows 7 will there be an issue with drivers and the stylus?

Have you tried running the app in Windows 7 comparability mode? In the file explorer, right click and select properties. Then in the comparability tab under "run this app in comparability mode for", select Windows 7. This fixes most issues where the app won't run in a newer version of the OS.

ArnoldC

I have a better solution for you- enable Hyper-V and install Windows 7 image.

If you insist on a dual boot, use boot from VHD method but you have to run bcdedit to fix your Windows 8 boot later when it has been modified by Windows 7.

ArnoldC

Gents - Now you have me curious. I'm going to try this on a spare Surface Pro tomorrow. Will post results. :)

I used to have quintuple boot on my Acer S3... Windows 7 Home, Windows 8 Developer Preview, Windows 8 Consumer Preview, Windows 8 RTM, Windows Server 2012 Standard :)

Using boot from VHD, clean up is so easy, just remove a single VHD file and use bcdedit.

OP

Dislike virtualization, not enough ram to run it smoothly plus would like my main OS to be BT5 when possible, another thing I am curious is the driver support in linux anyone tested?