What's new

Can you not have a profile picture on Windows 8?

CrippsCorner

Just thought of this yesterday... tbh I don't really want any image up there in the right hand corner if I can help it!

However I can't seem to find a way to not have one. Any ideas!?

Wouldn't mind even if it was a registry hack or something.

ArnoldC

Why bother with the registry, just replace it with a blank image. That is assuming you meant the account picture.

My enterprise login is blank.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question...

But do you simply mean a blank black or white image? If so I imagine that wouldn't look great.

I don't know about to go about getting a totally 'blank' image. Something 'see-through' maybe?

ArnoldC

When there's no assigned photo, it shows a "blank head" which is not nice too. I'll make a PNG and try it.

Edit:

I made a 1x1 pixel PNG and use it as the account picture, but there's still a white placeholder, so visually a white background with nothing in it. Personally better than the "blank head" it used to show.

Last edited:

Nuspieds

Just thought of this yesterday... tbh I don't really want any image up there in the right hand corner if I can help it!

However I can't seem to find a way to not have one. Any ideas!?

Wouldn't mind even if it was a registry hack or something.
I don't use a Live Account to sign in to my SP, but when I first upgraded to Windows 8 on my old laptop, the instructions led me to choose to use a Live Account and so for a while I was logging in with one. What had always bothered me was that it would display your email address after you pressed Enter and the system started to log you in.

Who in the world thought that everybody wants to have their email address displayed? Not at issue when you're at home, perhaps, but out in public is definitely another story. So I inquired as to whether there was a way to disable this behavior and, of course, there was no such option, unfortunately.

Same with the pic. Cute for some, but who at MS really believes that people want a picture of themselves or whatever on the screen all the time?! To be honest with you, even with a Local Account, I'm not even happy having my Logon ID displayed. Sure, that stuff might come in handy for shared PCs, but there should be a way to disable all of that.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Absolutely, this was always the case with Windows 7 and version older wasn't it? On my desktop I had 'Olly' and 'Mum' with our own images, and that was fine... but when I have only one log in, I really don't see the point, in fact it's kinda messy.

ArnoldC

Going back to the original question, there is no photo if you didn't specify one.

As to the account name and account login, it is displayed only during login, after that Start screen only shows account name.