What's new

Cancelled order - too many issues

GiorgioG

As much as I wanted a Surface Pro 4 (having never had a SP of any sort), there are too many quality issues being reported to make it worth dropping $2400 on it (i7/16gb/512gb + type 4 cover & complete care.)

I may be back for SP5 if MS can get its act together.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Keep an eye out, these issues will largely be solved before long. We will have a better idea after the November Windows 10 release update.

OP
G

GiorgioG

While I don't doubt they'll figure it out, it's disappointing that they chose to ship with this many problems given that the SP is what I would consider a premium device.

The problem here is that W10 is still too new on this device.

Pretty much all the issues as reported are software problems. They will be resolved after a few point releases.

Even Apple has these same pains with new OS releases, it is why on my Macbooks I never jump to install the latest major OS version until after 4-5 minor point releases come out. The first couple of releases always have major flaws.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
While I don't doubt they'll figure it out, it's disappointing that they chose to ship with this many problems given that the SP is what I would consider a premium device.
If you look and follow the releases of iOS 8 & 9, OSX versions... not that different. already 3 major updates to iOS 9.

I guess its the times. Fast, Fast, Fast... Someone mentioned the mantra "Fail forward fast" ... to me it's just fail fast ;)

kensmo

Forums like this and user-submitted reviews on shopping sites are often echo chambers that unduly amplify problems. The vast majority of users don't go online and post their positive experiences. The users that are having problems are the ones posting about it. Me, for instance. I got my SP4 yesterday and have had absolutely no problems with it. This is the first I've mentioned it anywhere and I probably won't be posting about it until I come across something I need help with.

My first job out of college was working phone tech support for a major PC manufacturer. At the time (1994) we were shipping 5,000 PCs a day. We heard from very few of our happy customers. I had some co-workers who developed the jaded opinion that our products were crap. After all, look at all the people that were calling in. When was the last time someone called tech support just to say their computer was working perfectly, thank you very much?

I know the squeaky wheel gets the grease, but I'm not seeing major trends that would indicate systematic, wide-spread problems. If there were some show-stopper bugs in the SP4, we would see LOTS more people going online and flooding forums like this.

Sometimes it hurts to be on the bleeding edge. A month or two from now, I'm sure the bugs the early adopters are seeing will be fixed. You might want to hold off a few months and get an SP4 once the kinks have been ironed out.

OP
G

GiorgioG

I'm sure there are plenty of folks that won't have problems - heck by the time my i7 would have shipped out (Nov 20th) maybe MS would have ironed those problems out. I may head to my local Microsoft Store next month and check them out in person and then decide.

I too did tech support (anyone remember iomega zip drives) - and you would think that every single product they produced was defective if you stood around that call center for a couple of hours.

I guess my expectations are that Microsoft ships a polished product - that includes hardware + software. I'm typing on a retina 27" iMac (don't let that fool you into thinking I'm just an Apple fanboy - I'm a MS .NET developer by trade) - I ordered it the day they became available and everything 'just worked' as expected. I'm running on OSX beta 10.11.2 and I've yet to come across any annoying issues (not to say there aren't any bugs, but I've yet to come across anything I would bother posting a message online about - this has been my consistent experience across all betas of OS X since last year.) MS built a kickass piece of hardware, but it has to ship it with software that has the same level of polish for it 'to work.'

OS X 10.x is deep in polished territory. Apple has not been pushing the envelope in OSX for years. That is different for W10 right now.

All the initial major releases up through Snow Leopard were pretty messed up on the inital versions. Major bugs, very similar to what we are seeing with W10. Even Lion and Mountain Lion were rough but it started to get better.

OP
G

GiorgioG

OS X 10.x is deep in polished territory. Apple has not been pushing the envelope in OSX for years. That is different for W10 right now.

All the initial major releases up through Snow Leopard were pretty messed up on the inital versions. Major bugs, very similar to what we are seeing with W10. Even Lion and Mountain Lion were rough but it started to get better.

Agreed. Perhaps my expectations are too high at this stage of the W10 game.