What's new

Solved Cannot Connect to Samsung TV - Others Can

nbarr7655

Hello all. The title sort of explains it! At my company I have a few users that can use the Wireless adapter option (NOT the app) to connect to a Samsung TV that we have in a conference room. However there is one user who cannot. What ends up happening is this:

Swipes on the right side of the screen and selects Devices > Project (I think this is the order) and then it scans for the TV. It finds it just fine and you can even attempt to connect. The TV recognizes the device just fine. Then the screen flashes black on both the SP3 and TV like it is connecting and even makes the new device noise from the SP3. After the flashing black screen, the TV returns to the Microsoft wireless display adapter, gray, waiting screen while the SP3 is back to where it was originally.

So in short, it's trying to connect and then for some reason failing. Ideas? All windows updates are installed.

We need to get this to work without using the specific app from the app store. I don't see a need to anyway since other users can do this without the app.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Does the machine in question have anything akin to VirtualBox or other virtualization technology installed on it? Is it using the Cisco VPN Client? 3rd party A/V?

All of the above have caused issues with Miracast...

OP
N

nbarr7655

I will checking later when I can. I did do some looking around and found the Cisco issue. I have looked at another SP3 and noticed that the Cisco device is turned off, I am wondering if his is on.

OP
N

nbarr7655

Does the machine in question have anything akin to VirtualBox or other virtualization technology installed on it? Is it using the Cisco VPN Client? 3rd party A/V?

All of the above have caused issues with Miracast...

Checked all of these things and the short answer is no. I double checked what resolution he is running just in case that may have played a part and no dice there either. He is running what others are and they connect with no problems.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
And they are at the same patch levels (including Firmware Updates)? If that is true, it may be time to do a reset on that device.

OP
N

nbarr7655

And they are at the same patch levels (including Firmware Updates)? If that is true, it may be time to do a reset on that device.

If you are referring to "Windows Update" then yes, all is current. If you mean something else, then how can I check?

OP
N

nbarr7655

Still having this issue by the way. Updated firmware today and removed the device in device manager. Still no luck.

Says connecting... and so does the TV. Says this for about a minute and then nothing happens.
Either that or both screens will flash black like it is connecting and then that's it, nothing else.

neurohax

Still having this issue by the way. Updated firmware today and removed the device in device manager. Still no luck.

Says connecting... and so does the TV. Says this for about a minute and then nothing happens.
Either that or both screens will flash black like it is connecting and then that's it, nothing else.

I had the same situation with a Samsung BluRay player. I tried so many things that I'm not 100% sure what got it to work, but I'm pretty sure it involved uninstalling the display and network adapters in the device manager and rebooting. I MAY have also chosen to delete the drivers and waited for Windows to dl them in the background. (So, uninstall in DM, delete drivers, reboot, wait 5 minutes, reboot, try the display.) I remember at least 1 reboot being necessary, even though there was never a prompt to do so and the drivers appeared to be installed correctly.

Also, I did have VirtualBox and a VPN client installed at one point, but uninstalled both early in the process.

Also, Teamviewer's optional display driver (used to blank the local screen when logged in remotely, if that option is enabled) was definitely part of the problem. You can leave TV installed, but uninstall the display driver in the options.

One odd symptom I had at the same time was that the Brightness tile in the action center was missing. After the wireless display fix it returned. If this person is also missing that option, post a reply and I can try to dig through my history to reconstruct what I did. I'm generally very tech savvy, and this was a very non-trivial problem to solve - the usual troubleshooting steps and intuitions do not apply. I ended up literally making single changes and rebooting between each step.

Hope that helps. Drive me nuts for a few hours.