What's new

"Cannot Display This Page" error while browsing

Niteryder

While browsing I get the above error about 4 out of 10 times. Example, this forum, I'll be reading posts with no issues, I'll then go to read another thread and get the "cannot display this page" error. Once I get the error I can no longer navigate that site and have to leave. If I go to another site I have no issues, if I go back to the previous site I still get the same error.

There is a "fix this" link to click, but when i do, nothing happens. It seems that the only thing that helps is to let enough time go by then try again.

Any ideas? I have done a search and found I'm not the only one having this issue, but the fix I found does not work for me.

The correct term is "This page can't be displayed" sorry.

Last edited:
OP
N

Niteryder

Just a quick update, I did some additional research and came across a fix I think may have worked. I've been trying to duplicate the error since the fix and have been unable to do so. I'll check tomorrow, and if I don't get error again, I'll post the link to where I found the answer.

This has been frustrating, hopefully this works and I can once again surf and read without errors.

CrippsCorner

Any luck? I get this sometimes but only noticed it since I installed a new router so put it down to that... but maybe it's Surface related?

OP
N

Niteryder

Well I was just about to come and say what a success the fix was, but as I navigated to this site, I got the same error. So IMO this was not a success and I am having the same problem.
I really like this tablet, but I do all my reading online, so this error is not acceptable. If it was just once or twice a week, I could live with it. 4-5 times a day just wont work for me.

Today I was able to browse all morning trouble free, this afternoon I started getting the error again. It seems once it starts it just continues and gets worse. This Surface is the only device I have that seems to have any issues. I guess I'm going to have to decide whether to keep the Surface or go back to the iPad. I have until Feb 3 to decide.

Does anyone have any ideas at all? Any input is appreciated.

kundas1

Which Surface tablet are you using? Cuzz I don't have a single problem navigating in here on my S2... maybe it's some sort of router problem?

Ruffles

Do you only get the error in IE? What about desktop browsers like Firefox and Chrome? I've gotten the error before but when I do, I've done some network diagnosis and usually the network has been the problem. The Surface tablets have a reputation of being somewhat finicky when connecting to various routers etc. When this happens, swipe in from the right and check your wifi. Does it say limited connectivity?

Rvacha

Perhaps there is an intermittent problem contacting the DNS server in a timely manner? Depending on how the machine is configured this could be a router problem. Windows allows for the specification of an alternate DNS server IP address - if your ISP has more than one (mine has two) you might try specifying the alternate IP directly on your SP

OP
N

Niteryder

Do you only get the error in IE? What about desktop browsers like Firefox and Chrome? I've gotten the error before but when I do, I've done some network diagnosis and usually the network has been the problem. The Surface tablets have a reputation of being somewhat finicky when connecting to various routers etc. When this happens, swipe in from the right and check your wifi. Does it say limited connectivity?

Yes. I only get This error in IE and only on The RT Tablet. My wife's iPad or my Android tablet have not had this issue. My laptop is also running Windows 8.1, also using IE, I've had no connection problems. Checked WiFi connection when this happens, always showing a strong connection.

Last edited: