What's new

Solved Cannot download Apps from the Microsoft Store

XBU Philippe

Hello guys,

I have tried several solutions already from the Internet (resetting the store over "Settings", resetting it via Powershell) and nothing really seems to work.

I have a Surface Book 2, Windows 10, and the Microsoft Store opens, I can browse, but I cannot download. I can "buy", then when I try install it, there are several problems that can arise, and they vary from time to time, but they result in me not being able to install apps:
  • Most of the time a click on the "Install" button results in nothing at all.
  • Sometimes my cursor shows a
    Forbidden_Symbol_Transparent.svg.png
    sign when hovering over the Install-Button
  • When I do get it into the download-queue the app never starts downloading (they even get stuck in my start menu)
So, any ideas on what to do?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Check Settings, Accounts, and make sure you don’t need to “Verify” your account on your Surface Book 2.

This was the answer for me when I was having these problems on the Microsoft App Store.

OP
XBU Philippe

XBU Philippe

I think that made me see that the problem is rooted deeper... I have no Windows Defender to turn on and cannot start or install it. Is there a possibility to get in touch with Microsoft Support? It cannot be, that a 2000€+ laptop has problems like this.

OP
XBU Philippe

XBU Philippe

Okay, Update. I chatted with Microsoft support this morning. They just made a repair installation of windows (after checking that my hardware is okay) and voilà, Store and Defender are working again. Thanks, anyway! :)

jerry_maguire

If you're having problems with an app from Microsoft Store, consider these updates and fixes.

• First, sign in to your Microsoft account. Next, work through these possible solutions in the order presented.
  • Make sure Windows has the latest update: Select check for updates now, and then select Check for updates. Or, select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for Updates. If there is an available update, select Install now.
  • Make sure that your app works with Windows 10. For more info, see Your app doesn't work with Windows 10.
  • Update Microsoft Store: Select the Start button, and then from the apps list, select Microsoft Store. In Microsoft Store, select See more > Downloads and updates > Get updates. If an update for Microsoft Store is available, it will start installing automatically.
  • Troubleshoot games: If you're having issues installing a game, see Troubleshoot game installations on Windows 10.
  • Repair or reset your apps: See Repair or Remove programs in Windows 10.
  • Reinstall your apps: In Microsoft Store, select See more > My Library. Select the app you want to reinstall, and then select Install.
  • Run the troubleshooter: Select the Start button, and then select Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot, and then from the list select Windows Store apps > Run the troubleshooter.

Hope this helps you.

Best,
Jerry.