What's new

Cannot "pinch" screen to make easier to see

dsulvett

One thing I cannt seem to fix or do on my surface pro is pinch the screen like you can on the iToy. (to mke larger) It is very annoying and if it is not possible on the surface pro, it is basically useless to me as my eyes are not that great as it is. Any advice please?
BTW, this is while viewing webpages such as this one.

thank you

Last edited:

mitchellvii

Where are you trying to pinch the screen? IE works very well on that score. For anything else that doesn't you can use the "ctrl +" and "ctrl -" combination. The desktop zoom can be set in Display.

HD_Dude

You may be trying it with software or apps that don't do that. And unfortunately, most don't.

Here's an idea: launch Internet Explorer from the start screen. Then try it. That should work. That's an example of a program (or app) that allows pinch-resizing.

Try pictures. That does it too, if you're looking at a photo.

Now try Chrome. It won't work. Google just didn't go the extra mile, and allow its browser to be pinch-resized on the Surface.

In Mail...the Reading pane will; the mail list won't.

The NYT won't, if you're looking at the list of stories; but it will if you're actually reading a story.

Accuweather won't. The Calendar won't. CNN won't. USA Today won't. Kindle won't. eBay won't. Amazon won't.

So you see? It's not you.

It's them.

OP
D

dsulvett

You may be trying it with software or apps that don't do that. And unfortunately, most don't.

Here's an idea: launch Internet Explorer from the start screen. Then try it. That should work. That's an example of a program (or app) that allows pinch-resizing.

Try pictures. That does it too, if you're looking at a photo.

Now try Chrome. It won't work. Google just didn't go the extra mile, and allow its browser to be pinch-resized on the Surface.

In Mail...the Reading pane will; the mail list won't.

The NYT won't, if you're looking at the list of stories; but it will if you're actually reading a story.

Accuweather won't. The Calendar won't. CNN won't. USA Today won't. Kindle won't. eBay won't. Amazon won't.

So you see? It's not you.

It's them.
My bad... i always use chrome browser! So it will work on IE? Do you think they will have an update that WILL allow the other programs to actually work? BUT Thank you so much.. DUH me, I never thought of using IE!!!!

Thanks Again!
Dave

magicrobots

I thought if you go to the chrome menu and choose "Relaunch Chrome In Windows 8 Mode" it would give this functionality, but it does not. I just tried it, and NOW I have a whole other problem: Modern IE is gone. Does anybody know how to get it back one you do this?

mitchellvii

I thought if you go to the chrome menu and choose "Relaunch Chrome In Windows 8 Mode" it would give this functionality, but it does not. I just tried it, and NOW I have a whole other problem: Modern IE is gone. Does anybody know how to get it back one you do this?

Under PC Settings you can try "Refresh My PC without affecting my files..." listed in the General options.

I am guessing this will reinstall Modern IE. Of course you can just install Desktop IE from MS directly. Backup your files first and make sure you select the proper restore option as some will do a complete wipe.

Codevine

You can go into Desktop IE settings and set it to the default browser. You'll then have 2 options, "open with desktop IE" and another one (not really sure what it says exactly. Choose the later and Metro IE is back.

J515OP

Super Moderator
You can go into Desktop IE settings and set it to the default browser. You'll then have 2 options, "open with desktop IE" and another one (not really sure what it says exactly. Choose the later and Metro IE is back.

This! Do not Refresh your Surface for this one unless you just want to start over anyway ;)

Arizona Willie

No no no no do NOT Refresh!! :(

If any browser other than IE10 is the default browser you will not be able to get the Metro IE10.
I have no idea why Microsoft implemented such an inane restriction, but they did.

mitchellvii

No no no no do NOT Refresh!! :(

If any browser other than IE10 is the default browser you will not be able to get the Metro IE10.
I have no idea why Microsoft implemented such an inane restriction, but they did.

You have no idea why Microsoft implemented such an inane restriction?

Because MS doesn't believe in their own products enough to think we will be drawn to them organically. They feel if we aren't forced to use them we won't. This explains a lot about what has been wrong with the entire Modern UI roll-out. MS went for the arranged marriage instead of just letting us fall in love naturally.