What's new

Solved Cannot Verify Microsoft Account

Russ

Windows 10, Build 10240

My Account page says "You need to verify your identity." When I click the blue Verify button, I get a gray box that lingers for a few seconds, then disappears. If I click it again, the same thing happens. I can go to "Manage My Microsoft Account," and all seems to be in order. My devices are listed and my personal info are correct.

Similar problem when I go to Insider Hub. A gray box appears, lingers for a while, then disappears. Then I get a page that says "Please sign in and connect." "Try again" yields the same result. If I click "Register," it takes me to a page that says "Welcome back Insider" with my correct identification.

Have run sfc /scannow, and it reports no problems found.

I cloned the drive and upgraded to 10525, but the problem remained. I set up a new Local Account (as Administrator). I used that account to Remove my Microsoft Account, then tried to set up a new Microsoft Account. It would not allow me to do that. When I tried, I got the gray box again. It lingered for a few seconds, then disappears. I could log in on my new Local Account, but could not create a new Microsoft Account.

I reverted back to Build 10240, but the problem remains. Also, I cannot download anything from Microsoft Store. I can access the store and browse around. It recognizes me. But, when I attempt to download an app, I get the usual gray box that quickly disappears, then is replaced by a box that says, "Try again later. Something happened on our end." The only option I have to Close that box.

This system has lost its insider status and cannot retrieve it. When I try, I get the "gray box" treatment again.

This is my "main" system, so starting over is out of the question. I will just live with the annoyance until a solution arrives. Don't have this issue on any of the other Win10 systems.

Any thoughts or ideas will be appreciated.

Regards,
Russ

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Contact Microsoft Support, it sounds like a problem in the cloud which nothing on your device will affect or remedy. Possibly an angry cumulonimbus cloud. :)

Last edited:
OP
Russ

Russ

Contact Microsoft Support

GreyFox --
I posted in the Win10 Insider forum. Maybe someone there can help.

I think it is something unique to the machine, because I have six other systems working just fine.

Thanks,
Russ

Last edited:
OP
Russ

Russ

Possibly an angry cumulonimbus cloud. :)

GreyFox --

Well, this is embarrassing. The problem is solved, but I cannot explain how or why. The things I did seemed not to help, and should not have fixed the problem -- but something did.

* I found some suggested Registry edits that might help the problem. Before I embarked on them, I created a Restore Point. They did not solve the problem, despite several attempted edits.

* I decided again to create a Local Account. Did so and signed in to it. I was not able to log back in to my Microsoft Account. Tried several times.

* Decided to fall back to the previously created Restore Point, so used System Restore to revert.

* When the system rebooted after Restore, the problem had gone away. I am no longer asked to Verify my account, and I was able resume my Insider status. I don't know about the Store yet, but don't currently care about it.

I will just add this to the already long, long list of things I don't understand. I guess that angry cloud changed its mind.

Regards,
Russ