What's new

Can't add @live email to Outlook 2013

Liam2349

I started using Outlook 2013 today as I want to see what it has to offer, and it seems better than using the Mail app on my Surface - but I'm having problems adding my @live email. I also am struggling to add my gmail due to having two-step verification enabled and Outlook not accepting my application-specific password.

The error with my live account is "An encrypted connection to your mail server is not available. Click Next to attempt using an unencrypted connection." - I don't see why I can't encrypt the connection though?

I also use two-step verification with my live account

Anyone know how to make this work?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Are you using the auto discover of adding the account or manual? If you are using the Auto Discover that error is typically a DNS issue...

OP
L

Liam2349

Are you using the auto discover of adding the account or manual? If you are using the Auto Discover that error is typically a DNS issue...

It's Auto Account Setup. Not really sure how to do it manually with all the IMAP POP whatever lol.

Do you know how to set it up? I might be able to do it if I know what to input as the mail server.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Close Outlook

From an elevated CMD Prompt run this command

C:\>ipconfig /flushdns

Then...

C:\>ipconfig /registerdns

Open Outlook and attempt again....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Can you log into your account at Outlook.com? Also see if you can try from another network....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Can you try to set it up from another network? Or try a 3rd Party DNS Server, maybe even Google's

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Go to a local coffee shop and set up the account, or if possible tether your SP3 to your Phone's WiFi or if you know how you can go into your Router Settings and change the IP Address that your network uses for DNS