What's new

Cant close metro browser

JonJacobs

I opened IE and can't close it to save my life. I think I added half a dozen new tabs trying and signed up for who knows what tapping X's trying to close. I tried swiping it left and right and up and down. It only moves a little and jumps back. So "Throwing it away" doesn't work.

Help!

GoodBytes

Be sure to be in the "Details" tab. You are looking for: "iexplorer.exe" (not to be confused with explorer.exe. Not the same thing).
This will kill Internet Explorer without asking nicely to close method (which doesn't work, as you can't close it with the X).

OP
J

JonJacobs

Thank you. That works.
But why isn't there a way to close the metro IE browser "normally?" Is there some technique to throw-away that I am missing?

GoodBytes

To close a Windows 8 App, place the mouse at the top center most of the screen, (or your finger), and swipe down... all the down, and hold for a few second until the program turns on itself and hows on the logo. Then let go.
If you let you before that, then it will act as if you don't need the program anymore, but might need it later on, so it puts it under suspended status, meaning, if you need the resources and Windows has detected that you have not used it in a while, Windows will close it. If you need it, well it's already on memory and will go return to you where you left off.

GoodBytes

Another thing. If you swipe down quickly, to close a Windows 8 App, then the next thing you do is select that app again on the Start Screen, Then Windows 8 will assume that the program 'cause trouble and will restart it, and not resume from suspension.